Oculus Rift Games Could Cost More Than Average

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
here's the thing I would pay any price for a complete game but developers havent been for a long time. I mean pay 60 dollars for a game then add a ton of dlc that tac's on another 30 bucks that should of been in the game from the start. I'm sorry we don't have endless cash sitting around our house. So I wait for a game that's truly worth buying then I buy it. The rest I wait for a steam sale or bargain bin. The last game I bought that I got ripped off by was Rage what a piece of crap game.

lazykoala

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I'm not even willing to pay $60 for "AAA" games for any system now! What makes them think people will pay $70+ for VR games? I always wait as long as possible before buying games I want and that's usually when they go down at least half the price. If there is a must have new release with some great bonuses I may pre-order, but other than that no way. This oculus VR thing will clearly cater to those who have big pocket books and money to throw around...not the average consumer.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Well there goes there only hope of selling the OR. I'm not saying this pointless for them, but a price hike on games would deter me all together. I hardly even like paying $65 and some times $150 if you get the CE ones. Then like others have mentioned all the DLC, u end up paying well over $100-200 just for one game. Good luck on the price hikes i will stick to steam at $20 dollar triple A indie games :)

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
My average purchase price for games is usually $5, maybe $7.50 if I'm feeling like being a baller. (Thank you, Steam!) However, I do think if a game is well made, complete, and offers lots of hours of great gaming, then the price could be justified, but we just aren't seeing a lot of that these days. Even Skyrim, which was fairly good, was only truly great because of all the mods that players created. I feel that another issue is rehashing content with annual release games with hardly any single player content, and expecting the gamers to create their own experiences through half-baked, unstable, buggy multiplayer. If a game is only fun with friends, then why should premium prices be paid? Friends are free.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
There will be OR games at all price points. I'll say this though. I'll never buy a game for $50 again. Possibly not even $40. I've had too many disappointments with lacklustre AAA titles without an ounce of imagination or innovation. This all while some really amazing indie games have kept me gaming for hours. If I had cash lying around to spend $50-$60 on an hour or two of play then I'd rather just go to a strip club and get ripped off there.Face it AAA title sales are mostly dependent on people who are more concerned with peer pressure than actual gaming. Oh yeah... And kids who whine their parent's ears off for the money.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
We should first look into getting publishers to start supporting their games with free DLCs, not asking 60$ a year for unfinished crap, plus another 60 for DLCs that improve the game to what it should have been in the beginning. I highly doubt that it will be any different with oculus rift, only issues is that there are idiots willing to pay 60$ a year for the same unfinished PoS, instead of developers getting smarter going backwards and looking to develop GOOD games not just cash cows every 12months.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
If they try to gouge the consumer with higher prices, those people who would have bought the game at a reasonable price will likely resort to piracy

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
I would be surprised if any major studio is taking the Oculus Rift seriously. How exactly is a crowd funded start up going to develop a quality and affordable VR headset that can sell at a profit when real companies with real R&D budgets have been unable to do the same?

You don't think Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo have been working on this for awhile now? Only a couple million dollars has been raised for developing the Oculus Rift. Microsoft spent over $100 million just on the Xbox One controller. Microsoft probably spent more redecorating their bathrooms this year than has been spent on developing the Oculus Rift.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see the consumer version of the Oculus Rift come to fruition and sell at a reasonable price. Of course that's the idea. Beware of things that sound too good to be true.

Crowd funding is composed of a bunch of get rich quick schemers who can't get investors to invest in their idea, so they prey upon the uneducated. Not that they shouldn't be allowed to do this. A fool and his money are soon parted.

I am also pretty sure Tom's Hardware gets kick backs from Kickstarter.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Those big companies are typically not innovators. They acquire technology in most cases and the innovators that came as apart of the acquisition normally leave and try and do it all over again.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I don't think it's unreasonable for there to be a small premium (5 to 10$) for enabling OR support; because that gives big developers an incentive to actually develop that support (which is pretty integral to the game's engine)That incentive could make the difference between the tech succeeding and it collecting dust on the shelf of broken dreams. After a few years though, I would expect that added cost to disappear as the technology hopefully becomes more widely supported by various engines.

I like what War Thunder is doing. A fantastic game with wonderful attention to detail and realism features, while not forcing the player to make purchases in order to succeed in the game. Plus, it already has Oculus support, and has for a while. Oh, and did I mention that it is free??

killamike

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
I would be surprised if any major studio is taking the Oculus Rift seriously. How exactly is a crowd funded start up going to develop a quality and affordable VR headset that can sell at a profit when real companies with real R&D budgets have been unable to do the same? You don't think Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo have been working on this for awhile now? Only a couple million dollars has been raised for developing the Oculus Rift. Microsoft spent over $100 million just on the Xbox One controller. Microsoft probably spent more redecorating their bathrooms this year than has been spent on developing the Oculus Rift.
ahah, butthurt that the Oculus Rift is for PC only there, xbox fan? For your information, this little "crowd funded" coompany is getting help from Valve, has wooed John Carmack away from id software, and also recently hired one of the top EA execs... who are all I'm sure just really stupid and don't know how much the thing sucks and will not work.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Xbox fan? You are a f%&$ing retard.

I only mentioned Microsoft because they are a company that would also be interested in developing this product and are infinitely more capable.

Any individual talent that Oculus VR brings on says nothing about the feasibility of the product. This talent might just be interested in their personal financial gain.

Also, I never claimed this product will suck. I simply claim that it is unlikely to be afordable and sell at a profit. It might turn out being the best VR headset ever made, but cost over $1,000 or it might turn out to be a piece of crap and cost $300. It will not be a great VR headset and cost only $300 and be profitable. If it could, there are hundreds of other companies who are far more capable who would already have brought it to market.

I feel that another issue is rehashing content with annual release games with hardly any single player content, and expecting the gamers to create their own experiences through half-baked, unstable, buggy multiplayer. If a game is only fun with friends, then why should premium prices be paid? Friends are free.
Couldn't agree more. Looking at you ARMA 3. What kind of half-ass game making is that. Create the environment, the physics, the objects, and then get tired of working on the project and say "eh, let them create their own fun with the part we finished". If it truly was a good game, the developer would have been excited to make a single player campaign for it if for nothing else, showing off what their shiny new game can do. Adding single player missions 6 months after launch do to people complaining doesn't make up for it either.

I would be surprised if any major studio is taking the Oculus Rift seriously. How exactly is a crowd funded start up going to develop a quality and affordable VR headset that can sell at a profit when real companies with real R&D budgets have been unable to do the same? You don't think Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo have been working on this for awhile now? Only a couple million dollars has been raised for developing the Oculus Rift. Microsoft spent over $100 million just on the Xbox One controller. Microsoft probably spent more redecorating their bathrooms this year than has been spent on developing the Oculus Rift.
ahah, butthurt that the Oculus Rift is for PC only there, xbox fan? For your information, this little "crowd funded" coompany is getting help from Valve, has wooed John Carmack away from id software, and also recently hired one of the top EA execs... who are all I'm sure just really stupid and don't know how much the thing sucks and will not work.
And they just received a $75 million dollar investment in December.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
While the rift has been using creative funding... they've also demo'd real technology that is beyond anything any high budget firms have shown to date. I've also followed their development effort and they're moving in the right direction... resolution is being increased to the point that image quality (even with that huge fov) will be good. Additionally... their work with pose estimation is also very promising (not just head angle but also upper body movement... cool stuff). This is not going to be an inexensive device, but it has the potential to bring a HUGE upgrade in immersion to PC gaming, and it would likely bring new life to high end PC sales (which rely on Gamers... not that the market would ever admit it).

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
While the rift has been using creative funding... they've also demo'd real technology that is beyond anything any high budget firms have shown to date. I've also followed their development effort and they're moving in the right direction... resolution is being increased to the point that image quality (even with that huge fov) will be good. Additionally... their work with pose estimation is also very promising (not just head angle but also upper body movement... cool stuff). This is not going to be an inexensive device, but it has the potential to bring a HUGE upgrade in immersion to PC gaming, and it would likely bring new life to high end PC sales (which rely on Gamers... not that the market would ever admit it).

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Should also point out that while the Rift won't be too expensive, neither are the parts anything you couldn't find in a $300 smartphone, and phones come with all kinds of communication parts and licenses which the OR won't require.

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I'm a little skeptical about the OR. The idea sounds cool: it's certainly the only truly novel idea in gaming over the past few years. But I'm not sure how good the experience is going to be.If it's good, I would be willing to pay a premium and I'm sure most people would to (maybe not people on Tom's :p).Not that I throw my money away on games or anything. There are only one or two games that come out every year that I pay the full $60 price for. It's just games like Elder Scrolls series, Fallout series, Mass Effect, The Witcher, Risen, Hitman, etc...It's just that developing something like this will require more time and money, so it makes sense that it would cost more. How much I'm willing to pay will depend on how good the experience is.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
games have been way overpriced for years now.
I usually wait for a price drop to get a game that I want... or might want to try.
I try to get them at 50% or more OFF on consoles, and at 70-80% cheaper on PC.
I simply don't care if the game is "old" when I do get it because it will still be "new" to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.