Oculus Rift Kickstarter Goal Surpassed Less Than 24 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]thanks but no thanks....looks very uncomfortable to have on for long periods of time[/citation]
I second this, calling for instant migraines.

G

people seem to overlook the fact that this particular kickstarter is focused on developers, not general consumers

G

Finaly away from the so called Television... Having this on with head tracking will cover every angle of your eye views, and 3D for that extra oomph (those that have enjoyed 3D cinema). Gaming on a whole new level BRING IT !!!

Aug 5, 2012
[citation][nom]Wooh00[/nom]Finaly away from the so called Television... Having this on with head tracking will cover every angle of your eye views, and 3D for that extra oomph (those that have enjoyed 3D cinema). Gaming on a whole new level BRING IT !!![/citation]
We will look kinda silly in our living rooms ^^, but who cares trully an immersive experiance this will be xD

Super_Nova

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
[citation][nom]gentlydownthestream[/nom]We will look kinda silly in our living rooms ^^, but who cares trully an immersive experiance this will be xD[/citation]

Perhaps, but if everyone is wearing such a thing in the livingroom, noone will see that you look silly :)
But finally something that really adds something to gaming, instead of only better graphics. This in combination with a surround headphone is stuff wet dreams for nerds are made of :-D

viper666

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]If I start a nuclear bomb Kickstarter project? Would people support my project?[/citation]

If you mention it can connect in any way to an Apple product then yes.

ZakTheEvil

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]viper666[/nom]If you mention it can connect in any way to an Apple product then yes.[/citation]

WTF with the Apple haters? Can't you people just let it go? Why do you have to spew your idiotic comments everywhere? Get a life, get a job, go outside for a while...

scout62

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Some big names say this is the greatest thing since sliced bread but none of them wanted to invest the money on their own to make it happen?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]This + Amnesia = Grown men crying[/citation]
amnesia woundnt be a good game for this. i have the game, but didn't play much yet, but an aspect of the game is taking control away from you.

when you think of things like this, think of the first person games that give you full control, think of raceing games with cockpit views, those are where this tech will be pushed first and get the most use.

[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Already donated my $300 since it was up. i've been waiting about 15 years for something like this.[/citation]

me too, but i have used head mounts before, they were never very good, but they gave me an idea of how this would play out, i cant justify this with anything less than 1280x720 without a store demo...

from the kickstarter page
1280x800 (640x800 per eye)
that means taller than wide. when i last wore a head mount it was 4:3 per eye, a wider ratio than this, and even that i was looking at the edges distracted. i would need a live demo of this before i would eve consider spending 300$ on it. not because it cant work, but because of past experience.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
640x800 per eye? That's a bit odd. Your natural vision is wider than it is tall, not the other way around.

I'm also worried it might look a bit pixelated when you're that close to the eye, but there are more factors than plan resolution which will play into that so I won't make a judgement yet.

Also, I hope the 90 degree FoV is per eye, since we have a lot more vision than that (close to 180).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]640x800 per eye? That's a bit odd. Your natural vision is wider than it is tall, not the other way around.I'm also worried it might look a bit pixelated when you're that close to the eye, but there are more factors than plan resolution which will play into that so I won't make a judgement yet.Also, I hope the 90 degree FoV is per eye, since we have a lot more vision than that (close to 180).[/citation]

i believe this has head tracking, meaning if you move your head, you see more.

the problem that i see is, if i move my head to look, my eyes look that way first, and with the thinner screen size per eye, im worried that i would be looking at the edge to often and it would be less immersive because of it...

i have 100% faith in head mounts as a future game accessory... i just don't think this one will be the starting off point that i want it to be.

G

As I played the BFG Edition DooM3 demo at Quakecon, I'll clear up some of your questions and rumors hopefully. Yes, the headset is currently at a very low resolution by modern gaming standards, but it is still true VR. It was unlike anything I had ever experienced before. You have a range of motion up to a full 90 degrees around you that it will track. I have no reason to believe that the developer of the Oculus tech (which was out on the floor meeting and greeting everyone) will not be a multi-millionaire by next year. Also, this is a prototype, keep that in mind as well. The 640x800 resolution is not going to be standard. According to the inventor, he is waiting for the next HDMI standard to be finalized later this year so he can go up to 3840x1080. Anywho, TL:DR It is amazing, the low-res will be high-res soon, and Gaben is behind it.

G

@fykusfire: Could you see the edges of the screen? How was the latency? Did you notice any delay at all when you moved your head side to side? How far around your peripheral vision did it actually encompass?

fykusfire

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
@lolvr: No, you could not see the edges of anything, it is all encompassing. DooM3's world was your world, its reality was your reality. When an imp charged in at you, you felt like you were being physically attacked. It was intense. There was no delay in the movement of the head-tracking and I personally witnessed someone getting attacked by an imp's fireball from behind that turned his head all the way around to fight it back. The marketing video officially stated a 110 degree movement tracking limitation, but it was enough to be an non-issue for us on the floor. I drove from Houston to Dallas just to experience that demo (which lasted around a minute) and despite the short time with it, I still feel the whole trip was worth it to have experienced it. It is real VR, not even similar at all to current 3D tech or the like, if that's what you think it is like. The last time I got to experience something similar was in the 90s at an arcade that had a 3D VR FPS game you could play for around 10 bucks a pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.