Oculus Rolls Out Achievements On GearVR and Rift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
That's not all they rolled out. Apparently they've implemented stricter hardware requirements. My brother's rift just suddenly stopped working after an update. He was pretty pissed. He tried to reinstall the software only to be informed his CPU didn't meet Oculus' requirements. It worked fine before. He's using a Phenom II CPU. Personally i think it's pretty shady. Oculus should NOT implement arbitrary software limitations.

Hydrotricithline

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Pretty sure Oculus lost the game when Facebook got evolved with it. They either need to rebrand, or undercut the HTC at the moment. I'm thankful for their 'vr hype' they created but it's developing too costly and too 'the man' (artificial hardware req's imposed by software/drivers) Which is silly.. if yer system is underpowered.. let it run (like crap maybe) but unless it's missing some key instructions set, that's just either being lazy or stupid.

Jim90

Distinguished
I didn't realise that oculus prevents rift startup and/or has a persistent nag screen if the user's PC is below the minimum. That's pretty crap on their part...I thought they'd display an initial warning then allow you to at least try things out, after all, shouldn't the game developers allow you to turn down/off all eye candy? Does CryEngine or whatever not allow reduction down to wire-frame models?

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Before facebook got involved with Occulus, I would have considered a Rift. Now, however, with facebook's claws firmly implanted in the Rift, I will not consider one.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

I've had enough of pretending that people are achieving anything while playing games unless they work in the QC department of a game developer. It's just ridiculous to pretend something you did in a game is an achievement.

It doesn't prevent startup. I run a CPU that's technically below the minimum specs (Ivy Bridge rather than Haswell), but it runs just fine.

There's a nag message at the top of Oculus Home, but it's out of the way so it really isn't a big deal.

As for reducing eye candy, that can only go so far, and only affects GPU load. If your CPU is too slow, it doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.