Oculus Shops For New CEO As Iribe Steps Back To Run PC VR Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
A lot of Oculus policies and thought processes caused unnecessarily blowback. Iribe had to be at the center of that (and if he wasn't he should have been). For example they could have achieved exactly the same policy had Oculus promoted selling on all platforms and promote their own as a development engine. The timed exclusive approach created nothing but PR problems when they simply could have seeded development for a percentage of revenue on that title and made it open platform. Whack-a-Mole exercise with Revive and more just show how ill equipped for the captains chair Iribe was. Oculus set a new standard for squandering good will so hopefully the next guy will restore some of the magic they once enjoyed.

No, that would have been giving money away. The reason VR games need so much subsidization is that the install base is so small. So you can't just give devs millions of dollars in return for a revenue share that will be tens to MAYBE hundreds of thousands of dollars. Timed exclusivity is a reasonable compromise between throwing money away and the permanent exclusivity practiced by Sony.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Luckey hasn’t been seen or heard from in public since.
For me, this is the real news. After his activities first came to light, I'll bet he was thinking he'd re-emerge after Trump lost. He might've been forgiven as having some harmless, "eccentric" ideas.

But, since Trump won, I'll bet he's been getting lots of dirty looks, cold shoulders and people not returning his emails and calls. Not only is California fairly liberal, but I'll bet the majority of tech workers in the Valley are immigrants. I almost feel bad for him.

Sharky36566666

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
An action the folks over at Apple should take note of. Transnational Tim's time to step down has come as well. It doesn't have to be a "bad thing" to step down.

Status
Not open for further replies.