Oculus Stretch Run: New Games, Talent, Challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the oculus does in fact require a minimum of a 780 and i7 4770k, it isn't going to sell enough to make it's investor happy (Facebook). Requiring that hardware would now make the oculus go from around a $300 device to a $1,300 device. It's not worth it at that price because with $1,300 i could keep my pc pushing 60fps on ultra settings on my 1080p monitor for the next 15 years, lol.
That is going to be the biggest challenge for oculus, to keep the device as efficient as possible so that everyone with a decent gaming pc will buy one. Not to mention, that making this work with consoles will be a huge part of it's success...and they don't have 780s in them.

There is nothing but PC talent behind OR. For console, all they would need to do is dumb it down. Console hardware is not changing for another 6 years. There are plenty of gaming PCs close to those specs with most just needing a GPU upgrade.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
If the oculus does in fact require a minimum of a 780 and i7 4770k, it isn't going to sell enough to make it's investor happy (Facebook). Requiring that hardware would now make the oculus go from around a $300 device to a $1,300 device. It's not worth it at that price because with $1,300 i could keep my pc pushing 60fps on ultra settings on my 1080p monitor for the next 15 years, lol.
That is going to be the biggest challenge for oculus, to keep the device as efficient as possible so that everyone with a decent gaming pc will buy one. Not to mention, that making this work with consoles will be a huge part of it's success...and they don't have 780s in them.
Remember, this won't be out for another couple years; well enough time for 780s (actually, the new 870s) to become the norm of computer gaming for "enthusiast" class PC gamers. Someone like you, thinking you could game on dual 780s for the next 15 YEARS is an example of people who won't step up to a $300-500 piece of equipment. Early adopters will basically be those with 780s/870s or better anyway. Someone who thinks a $200 video card is "good enough" will blanch at a $500 VR headset pricetag the same way they blanch at the $500 price tag of a 1440p monitor currently.

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Oh great, so a 3770K + GTX 670 SLI is too slow for this? See I always get shafted like this and it ALWAYS happens to me for not having the 'recommended' requirements. I'm so pissed irght now.. =(

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
You'll be fine, Quark. My current rig is slower than yours, and I don't believe I'll have any issues. I'll have to trim down the graphic settings on some games, but I'm fine with that. I've got the DK2 on order specifically to test hardware requirements for system builds. I have a triple monitor setup that I can play a lot of games just fine on, so I would think playing on a Rift should be fine as well.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Although VR units are old tech expect such highres , high quality game exploiting this tech with DX12. This tech will reach peak maturity by 2021.

For the moment everyone and their gaming rigs are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.