Oculus: The Best Way To Keep A Secret Is To Not Know Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
This "package" should comes with their Touch controller instead of the WTF M$ Xbox1 controller that some users already have and many others already have the similar thing (like Xbox360 controller). I will be a lot more comfortable to pay $600 if the package comes with Touch controllers.

This "package" should comes with their Touch controller instead of the WTF M$ Xbox1 controller that some users already have and many others already have the similar thing (like Xbox360 controller). I will be a lot more comfortable to pay $600 if the package comes with Touch controllers.

I'm fairly certain the Touch controllers will be in the $300 range. The package you imagine would never add up. The full experience is good value at $999 or slightly less if the warranties and support are up to snuff.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
I'm fairly certain the Touch controllers will be in the $300 range. The package you imagine would never add up. The full experience is good value at $999 or slightly less if the warranties and support are up to snuff.

Don't forget to add at least $50USD for shipping charge. :facepalm:

I bet it'd be like $100 cheaper without the XB1 controller. I'm so tempted to order a Rift, but I've never used one before, and I'm not compelled by any of the games for it that have been shown currently, but being able to play the games if they come out entices me, but the steep price and general "uselessness" of the device dissuades me, even though I can "afford it" it doesn't feel like a good use of my money.

You will love your Xbox One controller, be encouraged to use Windows 10, its Xbox app, and happily be drawn into purchasing apps directly from the Microsoft Store. You will be so pleased with your experience. You'll have no need for Steam anymore. Oculus VR for multi-player can simply use your Username from the Oculus Store to identify you. You will love it, all thanks to that freebie xbone controller.

Tons of stuff is probably only going to support Xinput and probably "forget" about directinput as an option. So for those in Windows 10 who wish to be stubborn and use a directinput device, like a Dual Shock 4 (I love mine), you'll have to break some integral Windows features, like the Start Menu, the Xbox app, and God only knows what else I haven't discovered yet, in order to get it to work properly (emulate a 360 controller). I'm going to take a wild guess that the Touch controllers use Xinput. It's not like the Oculus supports any operating systems other than Windows 7, 8, and 10 anyway.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
If you haven't tried VR technology with the "new" headset, be prepared to be disappointed... while it does provide some uniqueness to it, it's a gimmick like 3d movies

If you havent used VR before, dont buy a rift right now.
I used one of the earlier models at E3, and it was a cool experience. Not a 600 cool experience, but it was still fun to use. I recommend finding a way to try out VR before buying it. It isnt for everyone. I liked it, I wouldnt spend more than 100 bucks on it though.

I imagine many feel the same way, and there will be tons of content for Gear VR, that gets ported to Oculus. So, in my mind, there's a $600+ hardware purchase, a ton of $2.99 to $4.99 experiences that are just kinda 'meh'.

I need to see the retail Rift and Vive, side by side, broken down... the can do's and cannot do's of both first.

I feel like the Rift is going to be this really closed up, streamlined eco-system, designed for the folks who don't read tech websites, and get all of their information on the latest gadgets from television and Facebook.

I've experienced virtual reality space combat back in the 90s, but not recently. There are however some places whose opinions I value, so there's that if strapping one on personally beforehand doesn't pan out.

I know some history majors as well as some music majors (who dont even own a desktop or gaming system) that know the rift by name. Its gained alot of hype recently, but to me it has yet to prove itself. I was only wearing the SDK1 back in 2013, but still.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
If you haven't tried VR technology with the "new" headset, be prepared to be disappointed... while it does provide some uniqueness to it, it's a gimmick like 3d movies

Then you haven't tried VR, or have been trying Gear\Google VR.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
initially i understand them launching with the package they have. they need to get product out and shipped. after they get the first run done then theyll be able to offer it without the xbone controller and headphones. or youll be able to order it with their touch controller instead once they get that finalized. wished it had been cheaper but eh thats life.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I kinda feel they shot them self's in the foot with a 599 price tag. Personally I plan to pass now that's way to heft a price for Gen 1 VR.

1st off your trying to build a user base. While hype is cool and people saying there going to get it is cool. That does not always translate into real world sales. Unless they can pick up a decent amount of early adopters ((Which at this price not sure they will)) then its going to be regulated to a niche market until something better comes along. I happily paid 300 bucks my self for the device and felt justified but 600 dollars.

2nd thing is unless there are tons of early adopters as I mentioned. big gaming companies ((I hate them so do you but hey what are you going to do.)) EA, Blizzard/Activision, Bethesda Softworks, etc. Are not going to spend the money to develop for this thing. Yea I think its dead in the water as it currently stands but only time will tell. I am sure they will sell some but no where close to what they hoped. I bet the majority of people need a video card upgrade also. Then your looking at what 1200 bucks to get a video card + the rift ....

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

it would be a lot more affordable, but that's not the reality of things. The Rift has a ton of brand new, expensive technology baked into it. The company has stated that at $600 it is not making a profit.

The xbox controller is bundled, because litterally every game available for it right now uses an xbox controller. Rather than make people that don't have one already, go out and buy an extra device just so they can play with thier Rift is silly. You may have a controller already, but not everyone that wants VR does.

Touch is brand new. Very few games suppport it, and the hardware is not final. It will also probably be a few hundred dollars for them. These aren't just an xbox controller in a different case. Lots of new tech in there. It won't be cheap.

Oculus better HOPE the Vive isn't priced below $600 or you'll see a lot of their "pre-orders" disappear quick.

Theres no possibly way Vive will be that cheap.
HTC has always said its are going for the premium experience. The company has no intention of making it more affordable than Oculus Rift
I would not be surprised if the Vive costs more than a Rift + Touch.

Its an advanced headset with more features than Rift. Full room scale tracking, and two controllers all in the box.

If you havent used VR before, dont buy a rift right now.
I used one of the earlier models at E3, and it was a cool experience. Not a 600 cool experience, but it was still fun to use. I recommend finding a way to try out VR before buying it. It isnt for everyone. I liked it, I wouldnt spend more than 100 bucks on it though.

Don't consider your early preview a look at what the final Rift is like. It's not.
The final product is very good, and there's some really great content available. You may not be willing to pay that much, but Oculus has already outsold its current supply and allotments it can build by March. Pre-orders are now delivering in June. This tells me there's plenty of people that have no problem spending $600 on a VR headset.

I kinda feel they shot them self's in the foot with a 599 price tag. Personally I plan to pass now that's way to heft a price for Gen 1 VR.

1st off your trying to build a user base. While hype is cool and people saying there going to get it is cool. That does not always translate into real world sales. Unless they can pick up a decent amount of early adopters ((Which at this price not sure they will)) then its going to be regulated to a niche market until something better comes along. I happily paid 300 bucks my self for the device and felt justified but 600 dollars.

2nd thing is unless there are tons of early adopters as I mentioned. big gaming companies ((I hate them so do you but hey what are you going to do.)) EA, Blizzard/Activision, Bethesda Softworks, etc. Are not going to spend the money to develop for this thing. Yea I think its dead in the water as it currently stands but only time will tell. I am sure they will sell some but no where close to what they hoped. I bet the majority of people need a video card upgrade also. Then your looking at what 1200 bucks to get a video card + the rift ....

Nvidia recently stated that it estimates there are only 12 million gaming PC's out there capable of driving the Rift.
It's no secret most people will have to upgrade to buy in.

You know how to make VR dead in the water? Make an inferior experience that is underwhelming just so people can afford it.
Oculus has taken the stance of make the best it can make for the first go around. This is not for every single person out there at this stage of the game. VR is cutting edge. Early adoption comes with a price in any category.

Activision doesn't need to back it when companies like Nvidia, AMD, Sony, Intel, Unity, Unreal and Crytek are behind VR full stop.
VR is a new frontier. Its a perfect oportunity for the small shops to gain notoriety and become an Activision or EA of the VR market.
If those companies think the market is too small, then a smaller company will come in and pioneer it.

Make no mistake, VR is here to stay. It's not going away any time soon. It will be a long time before its ubiquitous though. Palmer Luckey recently tweeted "VR will be something that everyone wants, before it will be something everyone can afford." We're not even close to the stage where everyone wants it yet. VR is going to be expensive in the first year. That won't have any negative impact on the longevity of VR though.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Not much of the kit anyway. Experience won't be what I hoped for as long as it's tied for a traditional controller of any kind as it's just tied you down ruining experience. I am certain that they could trow in front facing (180°) motion sensor aria instead & leave controller & other alike motion accessories to costumes choice. This doesn't look like a final product to me. To me it seems that they are afraid of losing ground & from competition so they hurried up & made some really bad choices.

At the end who are we kidding hire? The essential hardware (new gen GPU's) are coming around 3Q of the year & all gear and stuff without it is a flat tire.
This actually goes over my prediction of 1500$ for a complete system (gear +PC +senzor area & base controller [not a console one]) & that bricks a affordability stand point even in rather developed economy's so the whole thing is doomed again.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
Not much of the kit anyway. Experience won't be what I hoped for as long as it's tied for a traditional controller of any kind as it's just tied you down ruining experience. I am certain that they could trow in front facing (180°) motion sensor aria instead & leave controller & other alike motion accessories to costumes choice. This doesn't look like a final product to me. To me it seems that they are afraid of losing ground & from competition so they hurried up & made some really bad choices.

At the end who are we kidding hire? The essential hardware (new gen GPU's) are coming around 3Q of the year & all gear and stuff without it is a flat tire.
This actually goes over my prediction of 1500$ for a complete system (gear +PC +senzor area & base controller [not a console one]) & that bricks a affordability stand point even in rather developed economy's so the whole thing is doomed again.

Using an xbox controller doesn't take away from anything in VR. Most games simply can't be played on a Touch controller.
Space flight needs a standard controller. platformers needs a standard controller. driving games. etc.

There are few games and experience out there that can even offer hand tracking in the first place. Both types of input are absolutely necessary to cover a wide range of VR titles.

The Rift does have a front facing motion sensor, but hand tracking with a sensor is far from a viable. option. LEAP motion has tech that can do that, but its no where near primetime ready.

The vision you had to VR is simply not feasible. To do what you want VR to be they would need a lot more time. The industry has waited long enough to get into the market.
The hardware that is coming out soon is truly amazing.

What exactly are you considering a "really bad choice," cause I'm not seeing it that way.

f-14

Distinguished
HAHAHA more proof vr is a load of _ _[edited myself before posting] _ _ joke, it works for consoles.
remember turbographics VR ya not much has changed since the 1950's except they are drawing it like 1991 sega game like with out the skins and textures.
vr is not vr it's 1991 sega video game graphic nintendo power glove controller b.s. 22 years later.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

You have no idea what you are talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SI1CB4rcf8&ab_channel=ForTheReplay

Go try an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive before you pass judgement. Your preconceptions of VR are wrong.

jediTT

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

I have no idea wtf you're trying to say....

Status
Not open for further replies.