News Oculus to Test In-Headset Ads in Select Games

If it blends in the background, like say a billboard, then I won't mind. Plenty of games have had ads or product placement integrated in an inconspicuous way.

But if it's like a banner on the bottom that doesn't go away or you're forced to look at them? No, eff that noise.

Reactions: bigdragon

anscarlett

Honorable
Jul 18, 2018
If it blends in the background, like say a billboard, then I won't mind. Plenty of games have had ads or product placement integrated in an inconspicuous way.

But if it's like a banner on the bottom that doesn't go away or you're forced to look at them? No, eff that noise.
Even if they start as inconspicuous ads, they won't stay that way. The advertising industry cannot be trusted, it won't be long before you're solving captchas inside ads to dismiss them from the screen.

Reactions: bigdragon

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
You lost me at ads that play audio needing to be muted -- as opposed to being muted by default -- and having to report ads (this implies Facebook is not paying employees to vet ads and expects the users to do it for free). Also, seeing those ads in games with price tags is a big problem. Free to play, sure. Priced? Nope.

It may be time to upgrade away from a first-gen Quest. Nice headset. Used it way more than expected. Facebook will likely ruin it with obnoxious ads though.