Oculus VR Already Sold Over 100,000 Rift Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
eklipz330, not only in the commercial arena. I know of at least one woman who used the system to allow her dying mother to experience the world outside via Google Earth.

There are going to be a whole lot of unforeseen uses in the medical field--say remote surgery, maybe psychology--allowing someone to relive a traumatic experience with a therapist along to help them deal with it, 3D modelling in geology, allowing mechanics to see exactly what's occurring inside of an engine--possibilities are endless.

This is the only wearable tech I am even remotely interested in. As cool as the motion tracking might be, I bet that I will typically just use it as a 3D monitor for games and movies so that I can sit back on the couch without having to crane my neck. Yes, I know you can get that already from Sony and a few others, but this is better tech, with a lighter unit, with real dev support, for a much lower price. This is certainly the way to go.

No real interest in flailing about like a poor Ritalin deprived ADHD child.

... any chance the final version will come with a web camera and a button you can press to see the real world without needing to take it off? That would be a rather useful feature.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
"We have a team in China working on continued ramp of production at our factory"
-QUICK, GET MORE SLAVES!
-They are all working on the iPhone 6
-Dammit!

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
whoever believes this thing is going to fail is not going to sleep well when it releases.

with so much developer support, i can't see it failing

It will likely fail to meet the expectations of the people invested in it (ie. it won't become the next gen of gaming, simply another branch). It won't be a failure.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
When it gets to 4k resolution then I'll deem it worthy of my money, Still a bit of lag and still not enough pixels to give full immersion but it's getting there.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
100 k for developers and enthusiastic users(aka home developers). When will the real thing air, have support for ALL games and completely safe than we'll talk.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I have actually put on a hold the purchase of a gsync and 3d pc gaming monitor for this. My budget is 1000$ and i hope they sell them in different grades. I guarantee that life will never be the same with these.

I think these will really become something to consider once the technology gets to the point where they can increase the field of view/resolution to reflect something more like that of what we as humans actually see. 1080p is not even close. It's just like pulling the effect of the current 3D tech and putting it right in front of your eye.

The tracking aspect adds to the realism for sure, but I'm not sure replacing my right mouse movements with head movements will be enough for me to consider one of these over a 3D or 3D/G-sync monitor yet. Full horizontal rotation are where things might get weird if keyboard input is still required for a given application.

I could see some really cool things with auto racing or flight [combat] sims by which you can replace the hat switch look controls with the head movements.

The VR headset idea debuted in mall arcades in the 80s. These days, with regard to tracking, this can be accomplish even without having to wear a device with units like the Kinect, but the vision-isolating properties (sort of like noise cancelling, but for your eyes instead of ears) of the Oculus apparatus seems like an advantage when focus is necessary.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm not a developer but I'd spend $350 for one. I assume there are no games supported by this of yet but I would love to try it out. I'm not seeing Battlefield 5 or Call of Duty in the list of supported games but there are a few I do play

Status
Not open for further replies.