Oculus VR Gets $75 Million in New Round of Funding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2013
The oculus rift is nice but I wounder how many dev's and game company will implement it cause it wont be cheap...lots of things will have to change. Just think about it, just the main menu on how it looks will have to change. Can you also imagine with the oculus rift...if I don't want to view that cut scene then all you have to do is turn your head lmao.. as in...fuck off, your not interesting enough for me lmao

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
This is really the next big thing in video games. I'm glad to see they're getting the funding they need to pump out a nice consumer model. I've used the dev-kit on several occasions, and it is really awesome. You can buy the dev-kit now, but most people are waiting for the consumer version.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
@jonainpdx It's gonna be 1080p most likely, but no less, they have said so. I doubt any higher since it can get expensive and cost is a huge factor for them, they want it as absolutely low as possible. Heck they would like to get deals with partners or bundles to get it out below cost. And those talking about games needing alot to change, UI and menus are easy to fix, thats no biggie. But you are talking about regular games being converted. The real appeal is the games that are made just for this or have modes designed from the ground up for this...then other versions get adapted for non rift players. Ive seen the indie games developed for the dev version and some of them are amazing with stuff that really only works on the rift.

zambutu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
They need to get this thing to market. Taking soo long... I thing a 1080p with a wire is ok for an initial release. Keeps the cost down and min systems specs down too. I have a dev kit and I say resolution and FOV at the two main things that hold back the experience.

AMD's kinda getting pulled into a couple different directions it seems. They want solid drivers for Windows that address frame pacing in all scenarios, they want solid linux drivers for Valve's Steam OS, they want a solid response to nvidia's g-sync, and getting Mantle to a state they feel comfortable in showing people. They are capable of doing all those things, but all at once? That's a lot of salaries and teams of people working on different projects, that all also need to work seamlessly together. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. 2014 is going to be badass.

jonainpdx

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Thumbs Up

Robert Bradford

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Oculus VR seems to have a long and hard road ahead of it though, as analysts are doubtful about the popularity of 3D virtual reality products. Most of them do not think that such products have the potential to gain mainstream success. http://bit.ly/1jcBlo1

Status
Not open for further replies.