News Oculus VR Headsets Will Soon Require a Facebook Login

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I already have the first Oculus for over 2 years. But pre ordered 2 HP reverb 2.

I do not have facebook and never will. Number of Oculus ordered will go down. for 200 more you can get the new HP

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
With the Rift S controller haptic transducer failing in one, and the replacement snapping apart due to assembly stress, combined with driver stability issues affecting PC when idle, my college age son already lost interest in it (and mentioned he, like me, is annoyed by Facebook due to all the politically charged content... from our friends and relatives).

So, in theory, none of this is a real issue for the Oculus. But in practice, it is probably not a good idea to tweak people right now with any unnecessary changes.

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
I have been interested in VR for a while, and am sitting on the fence until the next generation - let them iron out all of the bugs, and get things right. And waiting for the price to come down.

I am on Facepalm only once in a while, not daily, and I like to keep things separate. So many places offer to let me log in with Google, Facebook, or another social media web site account - I just create a new account if they let me, or skip the site if they don't. I understand Oculus was purchased by Facepalm a couple years ago, I was hoping (foolishly I see) that it would remain a separate entity. Why would I want to sign in with Facebook to play a game that I have already purchased? I don't even link my Steam account to other gaming sites, and I prefer games I can play off-line, especially since I am in an area that has between bad and rotten internet service (10 Mb up, 800 Kb down, on a very good day and all of the planets are properly aligned).

I like the Oculus devices for the most part, yet did not care for the fact that Quest required a smart phone to set up, and you could only use Oculus' store to purchase games/software. The HTC Vive/Vive Pro seems to be good, top of the line, VR sets. I am not interested in Argumented Reality (AV or some would consider Mixed Reality [MR]), I want the full experience, so that leaves the new HP device out for me. Guess I'll still consider the Vive or Valve Index. Looking into the PiMax VR headsets - 4K and 8K sound exciting.

To many options out there to get stuck on the Facepalm Stop (it is coming isn't it, now that the Go is gone, and FB is taking over Oculus completely).

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
I don't have a VR headset yet - not enough incentive, price, etc. But I wouldn't like this one bit if I was an Oculus owner. I mean, I don't even HAVE a Facebook account (nor Snapchat, Instagram, etc.). Forums yes, social media not really. And even if I was a Facebook person, I still wouldn't like being forced to do this.

Sadly, AFAIK, Oculus is the only one who makes affordable HMDs that aren't Windows Mixed Reality. I'd love to see a Valve Index Lite with wireless, and a Index 2 with wireless. That might entice me :).

KADC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
That's too bad, because I was thinking of buying six of these for Christmas. I use Facebook and Google daily, but I don't and never will use any "login with Facebook/Google" options for sites other than Facebook or Google themselves. For similar reasons, whenever I can I buy games from GOG rather than Steam so I don't have to log in at all.

Last edited:
I am not interested in Argumented Reality (AV or some would consider Mixed Reality [MR]), I want the full experience, so that leaves the new HP device out for me.
Are you talking about the HP Reverb 2? That's not AR, it's a VR headset just like the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Valve Index. The same goes for all of the existing "Windows Mixed Reality" headsets that have been on the market the last couple years. That branding is used by Microsoft to cover their platform for both VR and AR headsets, though currently only VR headsets are being sold to consumers. More precisely, they are referred to as "Windows Mixed Reality immersive headsets", but that's a lot to type, so it generally gets shortened to Windows Mixed Reality or WMR. They all provide "the full experience" as far as current VR headsets are concerned, though some of these headsets and controllers will offer better specifications or ergonomics than others.

Sadly, AFAIK, Oculus is the only one who makes affordable HMDs that aren't Windows Mixed Reality. I'd love to see a Valve Index Lite with wireless, and a Index 2 with wireless. That might entice me : ).
The Reverb 2 seems to be pretty much an "Index Lite". In fact, it's made in collaboration with Valve, using Valve-designed lenses, and the same headstrap and off-ear speaker design as the Index. Based on what's been shown so far, it appears the only major thing it gives up to cut costs and improve ease of setup is the Lighthouse tracking stations, which it trades for Windows Mixed Reality's inside-out camera based tracking, though with additional cameras to improve controller tracking compared to current WMR headsets. The controllers are also not the same as what the Index has, but apparently are an improvement over the existing WMR controller design, and more like the Oculus Touch controllers.

The biggest issue with the Index is it's cost, which could be largely due to the requirement of pricey lighthouse tracking stations. Lighthouse tracking might be nice, but many would argue its not worth the premium Valve is currently charging for it. The Reverb 2's $600 price might not exactly be classified as "affordable", but it's a lot more affordable than a complete Index kit, at the very least, and appears to be a much more premium product than something like the Rift S.

And while the Reverb 2 doesn't have wireless PC connectivity, none of the current headsets do without the use of an expensive addon kit. It does offer higher resolution than any other current consumer-focused headset though, at 2160x2160 per-eye, roughly double that of the Index, even if refresh rates are a more industry-standard 90Hz. Perhaps this headset is just the first in a wave of second-generation WMR headsets, and it's possible some of these improvements may come to lower-cost headsets as well.

D

Deleted member 14196

I’ll be interested when they have holodeck technology