Oculus VR Snags Top Googler to Work on Consumer Rift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Last I heard was Oculus was going to require an external camera to track motion on the helm. Why would they not add a B&W low MP camera to the unit itself to work almost like a mouse does? Taking a 1000 snapshots a second and seeing how each tracking pixel compares from one frame to the next, This seems like a much simpler and easier solution.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
The DK2 does use an external camera and there are LEDs on the rift itself so the camera can detect position. It basically works just like the Wiimote and the Wii sensor bar except the other way round. If they'd put the camera on the Rift itself not only would it add bulk but it would also need an external LED unit (like the sensor bar) anyway. You can't just detect the changes from one frame to the next because you don't know how far away things in the camera are, how reflective they are etc.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Adrian Wong must feel really strongly about what glasses should do for us in the future to quit one optical project for another. I wonder if that means Google glass was only planned as a novelty toy without much futuristic vision. Does that mean then, Rift is going to build the Matrix?

gibbousmoon100

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
While I recognize the value of a company having a lot of capital backing you up, Facebook has done so very much to defecate on the very idea of privacy, to shamelessly exploit its users' private information for advertising revenue, and to do its best to hide and/or understate the above activities, that it's difficult for me to get excited about any Rift developments now, save for their ability to push the tech forward and inspire similar companies' products which I AM willing to spend money on.

Rabi dede

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
HTC One Mini 2 have charm for me and i buy it yesterday, but it is locked. Is it will be well to buy the unlock code from safeunlockcode.com , or any other better option?

Status
Not open for further replies.