OCZ Acquires Indilinx SSD Controller Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
It would be interesting to see what Indilinx's latest offerings have in store. They really defined SSDs for the first generation!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
PC Power & Cooling before the OCZ acquire produced the best power supplies in the world. 5 years later... PC Power and Cooling produce the best power supplies in the world. Don't see how the OCZ influence really did anything except make the OCZ line of power supplies more appealing.

G

Looks more like they bought them to put competitors at a dis-advantage.

[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]PC Power & Cooling before the OCZ acquire produced the best power supplies in the world. 5 years later... PC Power and Cooling produce the best power supplies in the world. Don't see how the OCZ influence really did anything except make the OCZ line of power supplies more appealing.[/citation]
:)

[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]PC Power & Cooling before the OCZ acquire produced the best power supplies in the world. 5 years later... PC Power and Cooling produce the best power supplies in the world. Don't see how the OCZ influence really did anything except make the OCZ line of power supplies more appealing.[/citation]

No. They sold some good PSUs that were made by Seasonic. The new PC P&C units are also made by Seasonic, but there are very few reviewed yet.

OCZ likes to produce high volumes and lower prices... that works fairly well but does drive up failure ratios a little bit.

YAY! This could be a good thing! Now OCZ won't have to pay royalties to SandForce. They can make their own controller chips and sell drives at a discounted price. The could drive down prices all over the SSD market. OCZ could become the cheapest SSD drives you can buy! On the other hand they may just be greedy and keep thier prices just as high as the other companies to bank the extra cash... Only time will tell...

oatmeal25

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Maybe they can start using their own controllers and not let the buying customer about the change or that capacity is lower and the drive is slower?

banthracis

Distinguished

Actually, post OCZ acquisition PC P&C stopped using Seasonic made PSU's and switched over to the much inferior Sirta. As a result their entire Silencer II line was pretty much crap. It's only in the last year that they've been going back to seasonic in an attempt to bring back quality.

Jury is still out on how good current PSU's are. Either way though, with XFX getting into the game with cheap M12D based seasonic units and corsair getting their x series units, there are much better options both at the budget and higher end range than PC P&C now.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Bigfoot LOL.

This could be a good thing, now OCZ (and the consumer) doesn't have to pay licensing fees for the drive controller, which should drive SSD prices down. They'll need to bring Barefoot up to speed though, so I hope they have some good engineers.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
[citation][nom]oatmeal25[/nom]Maybe they can start using their own controllers and not let the buying customer about the change or that capacity is lower and the drive is slower?[/citation]

Slower than what? I have an OCZ SSD with the Indilinx controller and it absolutely screams. Sure, it's no Sandforce drive, but it's a bazillion (approximately) times faster than my old mechanical HDD. It's nice when Windows 7 boots from cold start in less that 15 seconds.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]dane1230[/nom]Looks more like they bought them to put competitors at a dis-advantage.[/citation]
I second that. I also don't see them lowering their prices much on their own products, but rather pocketing what used to be the licensing fees payed out to themselves. I for one am done with this company, their RAM for me has been questionable lately (funny how they are stopping production of it anyway), their power supplies are not that impressive any longer, and the rebates are HORRIBLE for reliability. Just another money-hungry company trying to make things as cheap as they can with an average price.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]Now Western Digital could buy OCZ[/citation]
That's stupid, WD just bought Hitachi, they wouldn't do that. OCZ will remain independent

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
[citation][nom]oatmeal25[/nom]I was referring to how OCZ switched components on customers without letting them know. If you haven't heard it is in this articlehttp://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] ,2867.htmlThankfully I have a pre-debacle OCZ Vertex 2 but I doubt I'll buy anything from OCZ again.[/citation]

My bad. I read that article too. Sounds like you and I have similar SSD's: Vertex 2. I have the 120gb model. Love it.

oatmeal25

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
[citation][nom]thrasher32[/nom]My bad. I read that article too. Sounds like you and I have similar SSD's: Vertex 2. I have the 120gb model. Love it.[/citation]
Similar but yours is bigger and faster (120GB is faster than the 60GB).

I like my 60GB now that it appears to be working. My ASUS P8P67 Pro would occasionally have problems seeing the drive but that problem seems to have disappeared with the revised motherboard.

OCZs lagging with firmware updates that can work on boot drives and/or systems with Intel RST 10 installed.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]OCZ has turned their focus to the SSD market. It would be smart if they could acquire the sandforce technology as well.[/citation]
Smart for who? Certainly not the consumer........

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS