OCZ Debuts Vertex 3 SSDs with SF-2000 Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
SATA III is still a fairly new technology, not even widely adopted yet. And there are already SSDs that can max out the available bandwidth? That is just INSANE. On top of that, flash based storage has been dropping in price far faster than any previous storage technology. I remember in 2003 when my 128MB flash drive was $50.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]SATA III is still a fairly new technology, not even widely adopted yet. And there are already SSDs that can max out the available bandwidth? That is just INSANE. On top of that, flash based storage has been dropping in price far faster than any previous storage technology. I remember in 2003 when my 128MB flash drive was $50.[/citation]

Yeah it's pretty incredible, but it's not really that surprising if you understand the general basics of how flash and NAND memory operates. It's simply evolutionary rather than revolutionary and the speed barriers will probably always be down to the bus and connections for the foreseeable future and not the drive or controller itself. Now that we have fully saturated SATA 3.0 aka Sata 6Gbps, can we now please work on correcting some critical flaws and consistent issues with future SSD's so we can get some quality assurance going and have it market saturated so I don't have to hold a Christmas list of what to look for when I go shopping for one?

Since size isn't going anywhere without a heavy price on the wallet, this is the next logical step if you want mass adoption by consumers. SSD's have only gone from a baby lying on its back to laying flat on its belly. There is a long way to go before it even comes close to running in the mainstream

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Wait until you see what PCI-e 3.0 is capable of.[/citation]
speeds that won't be needed by 80% of consumers?

seriously, now that sata III is nearly saturated, maybe instead of working on increasing the speeds which will no longer be beneficial, they can work on bringing the price down per gig.... *fingers crossed*

limpman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
any one can tell me if i have SATA 3 Gbps mobo i still get full speed.coz this ssd SATA 6 Gbps.i have gigabyte ud-5 x58 mobo.

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]speeds that won't be needed by 80% of consumers?[/citation]You're being close-minded. PCI-e can connect more than graphics. If SSDs, RAM, & Graphics were all connected on the same bus, chipsets could get a lot cheaper and more versatile in the near future. Since PCI-e extension cables exist, this might allow SATA type cables to connect graphics, RAM, etc. That could be pretty awesome.

[citation][nom]limpman[/nom]any one can tell me if i have SATA 3 Gbps mobo i still get full speed.coz this ssd SATA 6 Gbps.i have gigabyte ud-5 x58 mobo.[/citation]Nope, you won't get full-speed. Get a SATA 3 PCI-e card or just buy a Vertex 2 34nm (or Corsair sandforce equivalent) once prices drop.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]SATA III is still a fairly new technology, not even widely adopted yet. And there are already SSDs that can max out the available bandwidth? That is just INSANE. On top of that, flash based storage has been dropping in price far faster than any previous storage technology. I remember in 2003 when my 128MB flash drive was $50.[/citation]

Which should probably suggest to the developers to focus on capacity and price instead. Fast is great and all, but affordability and utility reign supreme in the real world. This is how new, great technology dies out before it catches on.

If they can get a fast 500gb SSD that only costs $200, they'd sell more. $1900 isn't going to happen for 99% of the population.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
[citation][nom]DXRick[/nom]About time. I was getting tired of seeing the Vertex 3s in reviews but no products at retailers.[/citation]
So much so i gave up waiting and bought a vertex 2.. only to see the place i bought it from advertise the vertex 3 4 days later :(

Trying to sell the vertex 2 now haha

Cyberstalker

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Sadly most of the reviews for the other OCZ SSDs are terrible. I'll wait and see how this new drives longevity is before I jump on it.

G

The only way controller suppliers can bring the cost of nand down is by
making it so that cheaper poorer quality nand can be used. Do you really
want to be using an SSD with the crapest nand to store your data...

Its really only the nand manufacturers who can bring the prices down and
then thats down to process size. The next process size down will hopefully
bring the price down to $1 a GB.

So the only thing the controller suppliers can do is improve performance, I
personally would rather they try to improve general small file performance
rather than headline sequential speeds.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I see the next SATA version (v4.0) having 2 more wire pairs or just going to fiber. But only time will tell. We also have Lightpeak from Intel just sitting and waiting to be adopted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS