OCZ Endeavors to Bring Affordable SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The Intel-m series are priced at about $4/GB so $3.42 is a pleasant drop if we're going to be guaranteed similar performance to the SSD that's been outperforming everything else on the market.

noobinberg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I can't see the justification in price....gaming doesn't require anything faster that a velociraptor and the price/size differences aren't making ssd's very attractive yet.

welah

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Good, that really should be the manufacturer's focus. They've all been so focused on speed and efficiency for selling points, but they can't completely eclipse a really great HDD without astronomical prices.

Meanwhile many of us laptop owners would be happy with a relatively slow but shock-proof and silent SSD that's neither unaffordable nor incapacious.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The decimal point has to move one position to the left before we can call SSDs affordable. $0.34 per GB should do it. Give it a few more years.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I have not bought a SSD yet.
I still run a 80GB SATA and a 250GB SATAtogether... I'd be running another 80GB IDE and a 40GB IDE if my mobo supported IDE cleanly.

I do plan to buy a SDD eventually. At the price of raptors, why the hell wouldn't I buy a SSD? An exponential increase over a raptor, while the raptor isn't an exponential increase over a 7200rpm.

I believe that even though magnetic sorage is a wonderful proven technology, we will reach its limits much sooner.

G

If I plan on running my OS from it, it needs to be at least 32GB, and cost no more than $80. For 64GB I'm willing to pay $140. And for 128GB I'm willing to pay $256. 256GB should be priced no higher than $499 streetprice. I think these are more fair numbers to make a switch, only if following requirements are met:
- The IO ops are (much) faster than a regular HD, meaning it needs to random read & write small files faster than on a HD;
- The power consumption must be lower than a regular laptop HD.

Those are the only requirements to live with a tradeoff of higher price, lower diskspace.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
At $2/GB I'd consider an SSD affordable for me, as I don't see anything below 60GB to be a viable option.

Considering my OS drive uses 45GB of space right now (and i'm running XP). Vista wouldn't even work for me unless I had a minimum of 60GB available.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I would only consider SSD for special applications, such as notebooks and ultra-quiet systems. Laptops need it because even 7200 RPM drives are just too slow to be useful for quick use, not to mention they are much less rugged.

I have a G.Skill generation 1 drive. It is fine for program launch, but not for heavy use. I have a OCZ Vertex for my main tablet PC. It is great. Startup time is now reasonable, and I can take notes quickly, while conserving battery life (with fast sleep/wakup).

G

I have a 30 GB Vertex SSD that I paid about $100. Makes my raptor HD seem slow. Put my XP O/S on it and a few applications, currently occupying about 7 GB. Paired with a large capacity mechanical HD, it makes a great storage system. As far as I'm concerned, its the best upgrade you can add to your computer this year.

dainsane1

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
only ssd is the one in my 701 eee. not in a rush for ssd in my desktop. rather disappointed that netbooks are no longer shipped with ssd.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I bought a 30gb Vertex for myself and worked out a deal with a customer that got me another one for an hr's worth of work.. These drives in raid0 kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.