stephentony_51

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I think I will be okay with this power supply with the rig I am building, but I wanted to make sure. If I have to return it I will. This is not really a gaming rig, but I will play the occasional game of tetris. Here we go.

Coolmaster HAF922 case with 6 fans

MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 Micro ATX Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz CPU

8gb G.SKILL DDR3 1333 RAM

1TB WD Caviar Black SATA II HD

1 TB WD Caviar Green SATA II HD

2 Optical Drives (Both 24X DVD Burners)

1GB HIS IceQ GDDR5 5670 ATI Video Card

OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PS

As I said, I just want to make sure this PS would be okay. I would have gone a bit higher but I got a great price on it and read good reviews for the most part. More than one review said they got 50 amps total on the 12v rails and from my meager knowledge thought that to be quite good for a 550W PS. Thanks for any suggestions you can make. This is my first build and I do not want to screw it up after spending so much time on it. Thanks again.

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
That one looks good, but you should check this one out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341036

It has more power, quieter, and it has a Silver 80PLUS Certified medal, rather a basic. This gives you more efficiency and with the extra watts if you plan on any future upgrades you will already have the power for it, such as a future video card upgrade or cpu upgrade.

Otherwise, the 550 you have chosen should be fine for what you have picked to build your rig with.

That is a great unit you listed but you can get the Fatality for 39.99 after rebate and for that price its a great deal.

It does have 2 rails at 25 amps a peice but combined total is 38 amps. Still plenty of power for your system and just about any GPU out should run no problem except a GTX 480 and a 5970.