OCZ Fatal1ty 750w suddenly won't deliver power to the system after case transfer

MikuDrive

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Hey guys, basically my statement above is the issue. My OCZ 750w PSU won't deliver power to my system after transferring the entire system to another case. Today I upgraded from a Thermaltake Level 10 GTS mid tower to the larger Level 10 GT model; the only difference between the two systems being the addition of the built in fan controller and one additional fan in the full size GT case.

My system has the components that follow:

i7-4770k stock clocked
Corsair H100i
Asus Maximus VI Formula
Asus GTX 660ti DCU II x2 in SLI
OCZ Fatal1ty 750w PSU
Kingston 16gb 1600 Memory
Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Some Hitachi crap HDD

That's basically my system in a nutshell. I've run it in my Level 10 GTS case for about a year and a half now. It has passed every burn in test, stability test, Prime95 test, etc. that I've thrown at it in that time and basically stopped worrying about anything going wrong with it. Today I upgraded my case to the Level 10 GT (internal USB 3.0) and the PSU was out and disconnected from the system for all of an hour and a half and now won't deliver power to my system; again, the only change being the addition of a new molex power attachment for the built in fan controller.

As soon as I turn on the PSU the red LEDs in the PSU illuminate for about 1/2 a second, then immediately extinguish. No fans spin up, my motherboard shows no signs of receiving power (no lights or anything), both GPUs show no LEDs (they have basic troubleshoot LEDs), and the power button, restart button, and "pin shorting" fail to get the system to even power on. I've disconnected everything and tried to power up the PSU with no luck (I know it requires a load to start up so it was probably in vain). I've checked the mounts in the case and my motherboard is perfectly seated and grounded with nothing shorting it. I haven't tried shorting the ATX plug, but that is my next course of action. I've checked multiple pins in the connections from the PSU with a Multi-meter and I receive little or no reading at all, the most being one 5 volt reading coming from a pin in the 20 pin motherboard power connector.

Not really sure what to try at this point other than shorting the ATX plug which I've wanted to hold off on. I'm typically Super OCD when it comes to my system so I'm usually very careful and overly cautious with all of my components, but really the only other thing I can think of is that I somehow damaged my PSU when I unplugged it and removed it from my last case. I broke the bank with bills weeks ago so if I can't troubleshoot this PSU back to life this system will be unusable for a few months.

If anyone has any ideas other than attempting an RMA I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Brendan

TL;DR: Changed cases with exact same build, now PSU light flickers once and doesn't deliver power to the system. All else seems fine.

Well first make sure you have no shorts in your new case since it may be the short protection kicking in. As well you can try firing up the system out side of the case on none conductive surface. It is more likely your motherboard failed during transfer than the PSU.

MikuDrive

Reputable
May 30, 2014

Is there a way I could test for a short in the case without removing the build? Now that you're mentioning it I bet you $100 that there probably is a short somewhere and it will boot outside the case. I'll attempt that tomorrow when I'm not completely beat.