OCZ firmware 2.22 and overall durability

deadeye22

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
Hi i bought an ocz Agility 3 60GB sata 3 SSD drive. Havent got my hands on it yet though. I read that the drive had problems and needs a firmware update. My question is if it comes with the firmware 2.22 onn or do i have to update it cos its going to be my boot drive on my brand new rig. My other question is, the overall durability is about a year for an ssd drive? i have to reinstall windows every year cos the drive loses its performance and goes slow motion?

Depends on how long that particular drive has been sitting on the shelf of whatever store you bought it from.

Whenever a SSD manufacturer updates the firmware on their drive all drives that leave their assembly plant from that point will have that version on it.

Lots of people buy SSDs from Newegg.com and Amazon.com, so if you bought your drive there it probably has the latest firmware version on it.

No, you don't have to re-install Windows annually on any SSD you buy.
Your benchmark results will be slightly lower a year from now when your SSD is "settled in", but your real-world performance should be the same.