OCZ, Mushkin, GSkill, Corsair, What do I get??!!?

beurling

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I'm going to be pushing a new wolfdale over 400FSB, probably closer to 450FSB, so I will want a 2x2gb (4gb) set of memory that will hit DDR-900 correct? For 1:1 ratio.

I haven't bought memory in like 3 years so I'm so lost when it comes to brand names and what is best as far as overclocking etc.

Is there a good set of DDR2-800 2x2gb that will OC to DDR2-900 or should I get a DDR2-1000 and lower it to 900?

GSkill DDR2-1000 2x2gb is the only one over 800 that I could find
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26456&vpn=F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ&manufacture=G.SKILL&promoid=1001

Thanks for any advice you can give.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
G.Skill is what I used for all my DDR1 builds (Optrons with 50% OC's) as I could always have them run in T1 command rate/mode...and still best the fastest DDR2 ram in Read/Write/Copy benchmarks.

G.Skill or Patriot for DDR2 is often an overclockers choice based on preformance and cost.

Patriot (based in California) is the main memery chip wholesaler in the USA and other big names buy the chips from them to put their own products together.

The highest end/speed DDR2 sticks ($600 Corsair/OCZ sets) use selected top end memory chips (the selection cost extra) and/or their own stick motherboard (usualy made by Brainpower).

The G.Skill sticks you linked to were onsale befor Xmas on Newegg for $69 USD...they "might" be onsale again in March.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I will have a hard time ever buying any thing besides OCZ for high performance systems. I like the fact that they pretty much only make high end products, but they are not overpriced at all. $90 for 4GB DDR2 800 4-4-4 with a pretty slick cooling design is hard to beat.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Heat is a function of voltage and many Corsair/OCZ sticks rated at higher speeds use hand selected chips from Patriot at a higher voltage than standard DDR2 specs.

In any event you get what you pay for and if you do not mind the extra heat/cooling issues or shortened voltage regulator lifetime buy what you want if you have the money.

I have never needed to raise any voltages on any of my overclocks (CPU/Ram/MB)...but I also use a very high end PSU.
See my specs in my profile.

Beurling. I am attempting to answer the same question. We will be water cooling a q6600 and thus might need to get the RAM up to 450 or so, if we are so lucky. If you get to the bottom of this let me know and I'll do same. Thanks.