OCZ Releases Vector 150 and Vertex 460 SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I don't think of OCZ and enterprise in the same sentence they have a pretty piss poor reliability track record from what I've seen at least. I'm pretty sure if you want enterprise reliability Intel is going to be one of your best bets to look into they at least have a good track record.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED

still rocking a vertex 3 max iops

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
5 year warranties used to be the industry standard before SSD makers started using higher density flash with significantly less write endurance.

Keep in mind that when companies shorten warranties, it is due to expected failure rates. failure rates increase with time. e.g., a company may be okay with a 2% failure rate and if 2% are expected to fail within the first year but increase after that then they will make the warranty cutoff at 1 year. A companies warranty represents how they feel about the quality and reliability of their products.

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I don't think of OCZ and enterprise in the same sentence they have a pretty piss poor reliability track record from what I've seen at least. I'm pretty sure if you want enterprise reliability Intel is going to be one of your best bets to look into they at least have a good track record.
True, Intel more or less dominates the Enterprise market. Regarding OCZ's (previous) track record was pretty bad, especially in their low-end segment. Their Petrol drives should've never left the factory. However, their Vertex series maintained a relatively respected view. The rest of the track record can be considered by the next comment...

Wasn't this company set to go out of business because they ran out of money?
Effectively, yes. OCZ was in the unfortunately position of not owning their own fab plant. They bought out Indilynx so they could at least have their own controller, but that's only part of the battle when you are competing at the consumer level where price is an oft deciding factor. I think it was unfortunate planning that they ended up taking a few gambles that didn't pay off and they got stretched too thin to recover. Toshiba saw an opportunity to pick up a good group of developers with a keen eye towards controller firmware, So they made the offer which pretty much OCZ had to take or they were all gonna end up in the unemployment line.
Toshiba decided to keep the OCZ name for the positive recognition that it had with the Vertex and Vector series.
So far, it seems that Toshiba has been making good on their committment to keep the OCZ brand alive and in a positive light. I think that started when they offered to maintain warranty status of existing OCZ products. Toshiba was certainly under no obligation to do that. But it was just good business to do that since they were going to keep the OCZ name; There was no reason to futher drag it through any more mud.

dgingeri

Distinguished
With OCZ's and Toshiba's track records individually, especially in the enterprise market, I don't think this re-release is going to help their market share so much. I used to like OCZ drives, until they yanked the warranty coverage out from under me due to mismanagement and bankruptcy. I've switched to all Samsung now.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I have more than 30 OCZ SSDs of various models, never had a problem with any of them. And how how
conveniently people forget that other companies such as Intel have had their own major SSD screwups
in the past, or have you all forgotten the Intel 8MB bricked SSD issue?

I think far more problems are caused by people doing things with SSDs on poor controllers. The only
time I've ever seen anything weird with an SSD was when it was connected to a Marvell port. Which
is ironic given the strength of Marvell's tech in various models of SSD.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.