OCZ reveals the PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]fb39ca4[/nom]lol we are all so stereotyped that japanese make better capacitors. im at least *some* the people in taiwan can make them better.[/citation]
No one said Japanese makes the better capacitor. It is just that Japanese cap-makers have a better reputation in the eye of media/marketing. The whole incident with Taiwan sending faulty/leaking caps was just a huge blow to their reputation.

I'm guessing you are from Taiwan? Don't worry, everyone and anyone that uses computers on a daily basis uses capacitors from Taiwan since they produce almost half the Electrolyte capacitors. It is just that companies don't market "OUR CAPACITORS ARE FROM TAIWAN!" because of the history. Pretty much the same capacitors.

lol, I had no idea that PCPnC was owned by OCZ. I just bought an OCZ power supply that had great reviews (but a limited number of reviews) and after seeing the specs compared to teh price, with the good reviews I could not resist. I was going to spend a little extra on the PCPnC, but now I feel I made a good choice.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]lol, I had no idea that PCPnC was owned by OCZ. I just bought an OCZ power supply that had great reviews (but a limited number of reviews) and after seeing the specs compared to teh price, with the good reviews I could not resist. I was going to spend a little extra on the PCPnC, but now I feel I made a good choice.[/citation]

Interesting... Just because someone owns something doesn't mean its the same product or as good of a product.

That's disappointing, the current Silencer series are priced great and have a 7 year warranty. That's industry leading.

It is good to see them doing modular, however. They look sharp too.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]No one said Japanese makes the better capacitor. It is just that Japanese cap-makers have a better reputation in the eye of media/marketing. The whole incident with Taiwan sending faulty/leaking caps was just a huge blow to their reputation. I'm guessing you are from Taiwan? Don't worry, everyone and anyone that uses computers on a daily basis uses capacitors from Taiwan since they produce almost half the Electrolyte capacitors. It is just that companies don't market "OUR CAPACITORS ARE FROM TAIWAN!" because of the history. Pretty much the same capacitors.[/citation]
Yeah we saw how much it is just reputation in eyes of media when Japanese supply dwindled to almost nothing after disaster in Japan.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Is 600W really enough for somewhat mid range dual GPU solutions?
would something like 6870 CF or 560Ti SLi be good for it? I somehow doubt the dual GPU thingy...
I personally like dual rail rather than one, just a preference.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]dirtyferret[/nom]wow how late is toms with this news, they need to get a better news service[/citation]
This didn't come from a news service. It's a press release from OCZs public relations department. It was released on the 9th and with the holiday Friday the timing isn't that bad, especially from something that is really an ad and not news.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Nice, though I wish they'd make a 300watt or less model to round this out. I need something to put in low power systems that has that certification, like a Home or Small office NAS box.

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I want it silent, 1200 watts, FULLY modular, and rated Gold Plus. Is anyone paying attention?[/citation]

Apparently not you.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256069

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194096

Though why you'd want a 1200 watt PSU that's gold certified is beyond me, kinda hypocritical worrying about efficiency when your idle is going to be under (more than likely) the min requirement to get enough load to get within the efficiency range of the PSU. Also to get those ratings at that current the voltages can get pretty varied, of course within ATX2.0 specs but that's like having low rolling resistance tires (the kind on a prius) on a 10.5R outlaw drag car. If your looking into that kind of wattage the best units in terms of keeping their voltages stable, which is what really matters when you have enough components to need a 1200 watt psu.

[citation][nom]kelvinty[/nom]Is 600W really enough for somewhat mid range dual GPU solutions?would something like 6870 CF or 560Ti SLi be good for it? I somehow doubt the dual GPU thingy...I personally like dual rail rather than one, just a preference.[/citation]

I have a silencer 610 (back when they were PC Power & Cooling, not affiliated with OCZ. OCZ is a good company in and of itself as well) and it runs a pair of 6850s and 3 hdds just fine. The single rail idea is that your either overloading your rail or not. There's no guessing on which rail is being used for what and might be overloaded.

Here are the facts: A large, single 12-volt rail (without a 240VA limit) can transfer 100% of the 12-volt output from the PSU to the computer, while a multi-rail 12-volt design has distribution losses of up to 30% of the power supply’s rating. Those losses occur because power literally gets “trapped” on under-utilized rails. For example, if the 12-volt rail that powers the CPU is rated for 17 amps and the CPU only uses 7A, the remaining 10A is unusable, since it is isolated from the rest of the system.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'll never buy a PC Power and Cooling PSU again, there mucho expensive $400 PSU was the cause of constant freezes and reboots. Warning to all: the PC Power and Cooling is no longer the company they used to be, there biggest problem is line switching causing HUGE amounts of crossline interferance which WILL cause your system to reboot.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]I'll never buy a PC Power and Cooling PSU again, there mucho expensive $400 PSU was the cause of constant freezes and reboots. Warning to all: the PC Power and Cooling is no longer the company they used to be, there biggest problem is line switching causing HUGE amounts of crossline interferance which WILL cause your system to reboot.[/citation]
All brands can occasionally put out a lemon. If you had two and they did that I might beware the brand...but one?...out of millions? :heink:

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It wasn't just one, 3rd party testing was done on several and all produced some nasty crossline interference that could cause reboots ... and they did. It was not a defective part, it was a poor design. It was an area of the PSU that most 3rd party reviewers do NOT test (until recently). PC Power and Cooling also provide a "test" sheet with every PSU (at least they used to) to show that it passed "their" series of tests ... which it did ... but NONE of these tests show what happens during load switching.

Spacetransient

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
News Break!
Anyone interested does not have much time. TigerDirect has the 750W Silencer MKII 80+ Silver on sale at a ridiculously low price of $64.97/$54.97 after $10 OCZ rebate. 88% efficiency @ 50% load w/7 yr warranty. Beat that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.