OCZ RevoDrive Combines 2 SSDs in RAID via PCI-E

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyGarfield

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
On Thursday I have bought an OCZ Vertex. I had to bring it back because the Bios recognized it but it never appeared in Windows. The dealer checked it... controller dead. He gave me another one and I asked him to test it before I go home with it. So he did and guess what... controller of the drive dead.

Thats a 2 out of 2 so guess what I´ll never buy again... OCZ-SSD´s ;)

Imho SSD´s are nowhere close to being reliable and a raid would just double the chance to lose your data. Ok you can make a copy of the raid´s data but it´s still not worth it at this price tag.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Are any drives reliable enough for striping? If you are so worried, use RAID-5... But to say they are so much less reliable despite not having any moving parts and having insanely long MTBFs (Mean Time Before Failures) it seems silly to harp on anything other than their price and the fact that in the rare event of a catastrophic failure without backup (which is not the drive's fault per se as any drive can unexpectedly fail) it is harder to retrieve said data from flash than from magnetic storage...

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
That's not really too bad of prices. It's ridiculously high, don't get me wrong, but comparing it to buying a pair of SSD's, it's not that far fetched when you compare speeds.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Work on that price point a little more guys and you have a winner!

I have a pair of orange SSDs from OCZ, and love them. Not too many upgrades these days blow your hair back after an install. A pair of SSD drives in RAID 0 is one of them. 500mbps is even faster than that for all but the latest releases! Prety cool!

I'm interested to see how long it takes before we end up with MBs with SSD chips built into them.

G

Not worth the PCIE-4 IMO. I don't know any mobos that will let me xfire/sli at x16 and still have a usable x4 path. I have two OCZ Summits striped on SATAIII (6gbps), which seems to be a better use of limited resources on today's mobos.

tldr: SATAIII > PCIE-4 for SSDs.

G

But don't forget that PCIe devices are not bootable - the BIOS wouldn't even think it was a disk. It will only run as a second disk, with the (Windows only) device driver installed on the system disk.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
For the speed and size that it gives, this is def worth going for over a pair of ssd's in sli., Though my only issue is... boards can get kind of limited on thier pci-e slots quickly.

graphics (1-2), sound card 1. then possible others being raid card for larger HDD's for storage since unless your rich your not building your computer with straight SSD's.

And after all that, you have maybe 1, or if lucky two PCI-e slots left, bleh

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
the SRP is quite competitive for the 120GB capacity, considering the price of SSD drives for the same capacity and performance.
no wonder, its out of stock and pricier.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
To be honest I thought it would be a lot pricier... but I don't think you can boot from PCI-e SSDs, so no thanks.

Um I do wonder if you people even read the article some times
Both versions will also be bootable, promising quicker boot-ups

Not to mention... what do you think raid cards do..., they boot in a PCI(varying types) slot

G

No Trim though as you can't do trim with Raid yet.. TBD how it performs after it gets full. Love where this is going though!
I's speculate for boot they have some SATA plug that handles the initial boot and it switches somehow after it gets running..

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
How to these compare to OCZ's Z-Drive, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227521 which has a thousand dollar price tag for 256GB?

"Not worth the PCIE-4 IMO. I don't know any mobos that will let me xfire/sli at x16 and still have a usable x4 path. I have two OCZ Summits striped on SATAIII (6gbps), which seems to be a better use of limited resources on today's mobos."

Today's mobos don't have limited resources. Remember that no single-GPU card needs more than 8 PCIe lanes (PCIe 2.0 is double the speed of 1.0). Take a board like the MSI 790FX-GD70. With two graphics cards and one of these SSDs in there they'd all have a perfectly useable 8 lanes apiece. Unless you're running dual HD5970s, there's no motherboard issue here.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The 790fx, and X58 are not good examples of available PCI-e lanes as they have such a large amount and are more for enthusiasts. The real question is how these will fit into Server and Workstation mobos as these will be the main application of this HDD. For instance the G34's SR5650 chipset only has 20 PCI-e lanes available.

^ Correct me if I'm wrong, but these drives are more aimed at the enthusiast user market (890FX/790FX/X58 motherboard users), because the servers are more concerned about stability and security, which RAID 0 does not provide.

G

It's for anyone who wants fast drive performance like audio and video professionals, scientific modeling... not enthusiast. For gaming, it's not going to be of any benefit because a velociraptor is enough to play your little movie or whatever. Editing large chunks of video or audio is where this card will scream. It's geared for professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.