OCZ Technology CEO Ryan Petersen Resigns from Company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scapegoat for all the bad OCZ drives? Hmmm, and the new guy is Marketing, not an engineer? Somehow, I just don't trust OCZ any more. Corner-cutting has bitten them on multiple products, from the bad Sandfarce drives, to PSUs with cheaper 85C capacitors that may not hold up.

G

I'm surprised they're still in business. I'd never buy one of their SSDs based on their poor reliability in the past.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Scapegoat for all the bad OCZ drives? Hmmm, and the new guy is Marketing, not an engineer? Somehow, I just don't trust OCZ any more. Corner-cutting has bitten them on multiple products, from the bad Sandfarce drives, to PSUs with cheaper 85C capacitors that may not hold up.[/citation]

The Sandforce debacle was completely out of OCZs hands and affected multiple drive vendors. If anything, that misstep on Sandforce's part broke Sandforce's dominance on the market and gave OCZ the push they needed to just buy their own controller chip maker and start producing them in house (newer agility series). This is a huge win for them, and a good move on OCZs part IMO.

I can't speak to corner cutting any place else, as I have not heard about it. What I will say is that I've needed to use OCZs warranty service only once, and they did an impressive job.

spidey81

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]The Sandforce debacle was completely out of OCZs hands and affected multiple drive vendors. If anything, that misstep on Sandforce's part broke Sandforce's dominance on the market and gave OCZ the push they needed to just buy their own controller chip maker and start producing them in house (newer agility series). This is a huge win for them, and a good move on OCZs part IMO. I can't speak to corner cutting any place else, as I have not heard about it. What I will say is that I've needed to use OCZs warranty service only once, and they did an impressive job.[/citation]

I totally agree. I have both an OCZ PSU and SSD and have had wonderful experiences with both. I did have to use the warranty with the PSU (flaky main power switch), but the turnaround was exceptional and it was replaced by a new unit and not a refurb! Can't complain there. I only wish they still made RAM! All that aside, I'm excited to see OCZ growing as a company and look for good things from them.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]OliverRubber[/nom]I'm surprised they're still in business. I'd never buy one of their SSDs based on their poor reliability in the past.[/citation]
The gen 2 drives were the last ones I looked at seriously buying. The gen 3 had so many issues that I didn't even look at the new gen 4. Their pricing for SSD's have been of hard-to-believe proportions (awesome though), but I cannot get over their rebate system. What kind of company offers rebates full time on every product they sell? They've done too much to simply over-inflate their market share and look more appealing as an acquisition that they've lost focus on QC and flat out reliability. Gone are the days of the solid power supplies and the reliable go-to RAM company (Reapers were awesome in their day). Such a waste, a solid company down the drain so fast.

I realize that the Sandfarce controller issue was not limited to OCZ, but OCZ's own [delayed] response (or perhaps lack of initial testing, imagine that) may ultimately have cost the company a lot more money and reputation than the Board of Directors (or other PTB) could stomach. A scapegoat was needed, and Ryan Petersen was their choice. Picking a marketing droid rather than an engineer to replace him suggests they're more interested in "damage control" than in fixing or preventing problems like this in the future.
For me, it has become a matter of comfort level, and OCZ just doesn't seem to have it.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Scapegoat for all the bad OCZ drives? Hmmm, and the new guy is Marketing, not an engineer? Somehow, I just don't trust OCZ any more. [/citation]
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Picking a marketing droid rather than an engineer to replace him suggests they're more interested in "damage control" than in fixing or preventing problems like this in the future.[/citation]

Keyword here... Interim. Also as a CEO he has his hands in the business but his main job is to manage the overall business via the people who manage the mid and lower end. Engineer's aren't always suited for management jobs now are they? Selecting another executive to fill in as a temp is probably the best solution here...

G

Glad I bought a Samsung model830 SSD instead of getting caught up in the OCZ hype.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]jrm57[/nom]Glad I bought a Samsung model830 SSD instead of getting caught up in the OCZ hype.[/citation]
I've had no issues at all with my Vertex 4 drive. Also saved a pretty penny too :)

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I have 2 120GB Vertex 3's in my gaming rig in RAID 0. (Yes, I know i'm playing with fire) I also have a 240 GB drive in my MacBook Pro, I haven't had a single drive die on me yet, so what are all of these posts about drive failures and such with OCZ?

G

I'm surprised!!! Though have to admit that I've been out of the upgrading market in years. Loved their ram. Decent price for great performance. 3200 DDR ram with 2-3-2-5 timing. Hopefully, OCZ will have great products for years to come.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
my vertex 2 120GB died due to a firmware bug, however i got excellent support from OCZ and got my replacement part in the mail in less than 24 hours from sending it. trust me when i tell you i didn't believe it myself until i opened the box and found a brand new SSD drive... been working great ever since.

G

Ryan has always been a lying piece of shit, and he is no Engineer, unless we are talking bullshit. Alex Mei is a solid individual and great person. Ryan leaving makes my faith in OCZ stronger and if you knew anything behind the scenes you would know this is a solid move. My first encounter with Ryan I flew to Georgia to see his supposed American Memory Factory, which was a total lie as there was no company. So before you go running your mouth about how this is the downfall for OCZ,,,You could not be MORE FULL OF SHIT,, This is a new beginning for OCZ.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
They are trying to grow too fast. Their expansion has been impressive, but slow moderate growth is healthier and makes it easier to maintain quality. Can't believe they would be firing CEOs when growing like they have been.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
OCZ is ripe with ups and downs with regards to quality, which is their greatest weakness. But their greatest strength is their unparallelled customer interaction and great support. I have had some OCZ stuff fail on me. Used their support for no-hassle replacements for SSD and a microSD card reader (that I wish still existed called the Trifecta (which when it worked actually saved at least 3 different teams of students' presentations in a pinch)...

I will still buy OCZ stuff once in a while, but never in a mission critical application at this point...

squirrelonfire

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
[citation][nom]spidey81[/nom]I totally agree. I have both an OCZ PSU and SSD and have had wonderful experiences with both. I did have to use the warranty with the PSU (flaky main power switch), but the turnaround was exceptional and it was replaced by a new unit and not a refurb! Can't complain there. I only wish they still made RAM! All that aside, I'm excited to see OCZ growing as a company and look for good things from them.[/citation]

You should have never trusted OCZ, it's crap. Fast but crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.