OCZ Technology's 2012 Fiscal Year Revenue Up 92%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marfig

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
There's some of us in all those millions. I only wished we didn't have to contribute with so much.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Sales vanity, profit sanity.

Did OCZ say why they are still making a loss as that's the real story here. You can turnover all you want but if your losing money eventually you will go out business.

G

I don't believe it. I think these are fake numbers. OCZ SSD drives are the worst on the market. It's not just SSD drives. They have a history of making bad quality products: bad power supply, bad RAM, and now bad SSD drives.

[citation][nom]jiojioie8[/nom]I don't believe it. I think these are fake numbers. OCZ SSD drives are the worst on the market. It's not just SSD drives. They have a history of making bad quality products: bad power supply, bad RAM, and now bad SSD drives.[/citation]

OCZ RAM isn't bad. OCZ doesn't make power supplies (although some cheap @$$ units are re-branded as OCZ and sure, they suck and OCZ should be embarrassed to put their name on the garbage). OCZ SSDs are not crap either. In fact, their Vertex 4 drives are some of the best on the market, especially best priced among the high end drives. Their Sandforce drives had some reliability issues, but that is true for most Sandforce based drives. There were simply more OCZ drives than other branded drives, so they got the most publicity for it.

For example on the RAM, I still have a dual channel OCZ Gold kit from seven years ago in one of my older PCs and it works just fine. The heat sinks also do a great job of getting the heat of of the ICs. Oh sure one example is not enough to prove that it wasn't crap, but I've heard more complaints about Kingston RAM than OCZ and that's a better example.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

You are right, the ram isn't "bad" they just managed to screw over the end user by selling these ram sticks and then causing motherboard manufacturers to force a higher stock voltage through the motherboard for all sticks of ram. I was unlucky enough to pick up a Gigabyte mobo with that exact problem because of some shitty designing and poor managing.

Move on to their psus where the only 2 worth giving a 2nd thought about are the ZS/ZX models with the rest being less than lackluster with most causing issues/not meeting listed wattage.

Move over to their SSD market, where you can drive to Microcenter and see a bin of OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSDs like they are flea market SSDs. Their only 2 SSDs I have seen anyone bother mentioning are the Vertex 3 (after several firmware updates) and the newer Vertex 4 which JUST hit the market. Compare them to Crucial M4's, Corsair Force GT's, Mushkin Enhanced Chronos' when these 3 are consecutively cheaper than the rest of the market and there is no market for OCZ ssds besides people that want to wait half a year for $10 rebate on a OCZ Agility 3 crapper just to get told they no longer accept the rebate (out of date)

Probably one of my biggest tiffs with OCZ tech is that they have some of the worst customer support/rma service/rebate services.

OCZ doesn't make the PSUs (which I acknowledge as mostly bad). I said that most of OCZ's Sandforce drives (IE their older ones) had problems, but that they remedied the problems with their newer drives such as the Vertex 4. I did not say anything about OCZ's support/rebate service. I have had the pleasure of not dealing with them much.

I had no problem with the OCZ RAM and although I have heard of problems (the only two memory companies from whom I really never hear problems about for system RAM are Corsair and G.Skill), so long as you run the higher voltage, don't they work fine? Or does this cause damage to the north bridge or CPU? I just put them into my machine and they worked fine, so perhaps I was lucky.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Revenue is a great number to throw around and all but...
Net loss for Q4'12 was $10.9 million or $0.19 loss per share compared with a net loss of $9.3 million or $0.27 loss per share in Q4'11.
There's the one I care about as an investor.

Good point, but increased revanue could mean that if they don't need to spend as much this year, they will increase profits greatly this year. OCZ spent a lot of money on R&D for several different SSD markets (not to mention anything else) and if they don't need to do that again but can keep revenue up to par with this number this year or even pass it, then this could be a great year for them. Let's wait and see.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
^yeah, i mostly agree. While OCZ has been known for some bad business practices in the past (i.e. dishonest PSU practices), they are significantly better now and seem to be working on their image.

Their SSDs are not bad. None of them. Sandforce controllers simply aren't very stable and unexpected problems popped up. They fixed every problem with firmware updates fairly quickly though. Faster than many other sandforce users. They are the largest sandforce SSD manufacturer though and people associate sandforce with them. Indilinx is proof they are trying avoid future problems.

As to ram... I kinda trust G.SKILL, Corsair, Crucial and Kingston more. But that's not from personal experience.

The Vertex 4 uses a Marvell controller with Indilinx firmware. OCZ is still using other company's controllers, but they chose a much more reliable controller and did some serious work on their firmware.

[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Have any of you calling the OCZ power supplies trash ever owned one? I've never had an issue with an OCZ power supply. Jonnyguru and hardwaresecrets apparently don't either. More Toms "experts" spouting their brilliant misinformation.As for SSDs, thats another story.[/citation]

Some OCZ power supplies are garbage and yes, I've had a few. Some are not garbage. Quality varies widely between different models.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I have 2 OCZ powersupplies and I love them, I actually went through two Antec Basiq PSU's before i got these and I love them. I have a 600W ModXStream Pro and a 500W one (don't know the model off the top of my head because its sitting on the shelf right now). Now i do realise that the Antecs were entry level PSU's but i still went through two of them, and I've had zero problems with my OCZ PSU's.

[citation][nom]trumpeter1994[/nom]I have 2 OCZ powersupplies and I love them, I actually went through two Antec Basiq PSU's before i got these and I love them. I have a 600W ModXStream Pro and a 500W one (don't know the model off the top of my head because its sitting on the shelf right now). Now i do realise that the Antecs were entry level PSU's but i still went through two of them, and I've had zero problems with my OCZ PSU's.[/citation]

What wattage are your OCZ PSUs and what is your hardware and is it overclocked (if so, by how much)? Sorry to doubt you, but you do not give enough information on your situation to do anything but mislead people. If you're putting on more 12v than those Antecs could handle but the OCZs have higher rated 12V output, then the Antecs failing was your own fault. There are several other such ways that this could have happened, such as you choking the Antec's cooling fans for air or some other problem that might not be their fault. There's also the possibility (probability?) of you choosing two of the best OCZ PSUs instead of two poorer OCZ ones.

If I had to form an opinion of you just based off of what information that you gave us, it wouldn't be very good because just from looking at your comment, it gives a more fanboyish implication rather than whether or not Antec or OCZ are bad/good due to the lack of information that you have given. I doubt that I'm the only one who would feel that way.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]akamrcrack[/nom]My OCZ products work fine, therefore all OCZ products work fine.[/citation]

The same thing can be said of:

My OCZ products don't work, therefore all OCZ products don't work.

Just because you have had a few bad products from OCZ doesn't mean you can accurately describe all OCZ products as bad.

[citation][nom]akamrcrack[/nom]Probably one of my biggest tiffs with OCZ tech is that they have some of the worst customer support/rma service/rebate services.[/citation]

You do realize that they don't process their own rebates, right? They have a 3rd party company that does that. (And btw, I have gotten back all of the OCZ rebates I have ever sent in.)

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

So you take what I said, then reverse it. Then continue by sharing your experience with OCZ rebates which hints that because you have received every OCZ rebate you have ever sent in that means they have the best rebate system...

See what I did there?

Wanna keep going in circles?

Just because I said one thing about OCZ doesn't mean I think all OCZ products are crap which is what people keep trying to imply.

If you are going to imply anything it should be that everyone has their own experiences with companies, and what it comes down to is what they use to make their components. "Blah sandforce is fixed blah" 1 year later. "Blah not all their psus are crap blah" Just some of them. "Blah their ram isn't bad blah" learn 2 read. lol.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]akamrcrack[/nom]...If you are going to imply anything it should be that everyone has their own experiences with companies....[/citation]

That is exactly what I was getting at. While others may have had bad experiences with OCZ, my experience with OCZ happens to be completely positive. I have never had any issues with any PSUs, RAM modules, or Rebates from OCZ.

[citation][nom]akamrcrack[/nom]... learn 2 read. lol.[/citation]

I don't know how you made the ASSumption that I don't know how to read.

So you think I had someone read the article and comments to me and then type up my response? Nope. Sorry, read it for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.