OCZ To Deliver TLC-Based Value SATA SSD, The Trion 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan1476

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
OCZ has been the one company that brought us SSDs when no one else had anything to offer. I owned OCZ since the Vertex 2 and I still bought the Vector 180, no one issue, now I know I am lucky but, when you take into consideration the market share they once had, you have to understand the more you sell the bigger the return rate. I think now that Toshiba has partnered with them, they are on the fast track to keep up with Samsung and Sandisk in the consumer area. jmho

3ogdy

Distinguished
apache_lives is perfectly right. Actually, you literally expressed my thoughts.

OCZ(I know, Toshiba's company) equals unreliability, poor quality, incredible price / performance at the expense of actual usability or longevity, poor firmware, fast-/first--to-market approach (without having a fully developed product), experiments on clients' money...undetected bugs....it's just a damn mess.

There's absolutely NO REASON for one to put himself / herself through so much stress, frustration, anger and the rest of the stages an OCZ client is susceptible of going through at some point. Neither there is any reason to risk your data in such horrible ways. No, thanks.

There are enough players in the SSD industry whose products we can choose: Intel, Samsung, Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, Plextor, Seagate, PNY....(mostly in that specific order; the first 2 deserve the same spot) and these are off the top of my head. I know people in the know won't fall for the bait, but killing the OCZ brand and converting it into Toshiba would probably be better for OCZ as long as Toshiba has 150% influence on NAND, controllers, software, firmware and all the things OCZ literally sucked.at.

Some of us actually build systems not only for friends and family members, but actually for many more people - imagine the apocalypse using OCZ means when drives start failing due to whatever a paid smart ass at OCZ missed. Then whose reputation and whose data go down the drain? Not OCZ's in a casual customer's eyes - they don't even know who OCZ is. Most have only heard of Microsoft, CrApple, Intel, Sony, HP and Acer from the PC world - and that's also mostly because of laptops or popular software.

Every respectable reviewer in the industry knows exactly this is the case with OCZ. Anandtech wrote:
"It's hard to say what ultimately killed OCZ without knowing their exact cost structure but I believe it was a combination of bad strategy (too many products and high production volumes) and engineering choices (low reliability) along with other things. "

Hell, even Wikipedia has something to say about it.
"Over 52% return rates"? That's over 1 in 2 SSDs returned for being "too reliable". I can only hope not too many stored irreplaceable memories on such products.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Had 2 OCZ drives, original Agility, and Vetex 2. Awesome drives. Still performing to this day.
A whole lot better that <mod edit> kingston. Bought one of those drives and it was slower than my mechanical drive in just over a week.
Intel are way over priced. Hard to go past sammy drives right now though.

Watch the language. - G

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
At some point you guys are going to have to press the reset switch and get over it. Yes, the Vertex Series, mainly the SF era had a lot of problems. There were also flash issues with less than desirable NAND and so on.

OCZ's new products use Barefoot 3 controllers and the stuff they are showing now all has Toshiba controllers. Has anyone had an issue with tier 1 Toshiba NAND or Toshiba controllers? Nope, not an issue, they are all good. As a matter of fact, Toshiba makes some of the best client SSDs you've never heard of.

Even as a reviewer I can't tell you the name of Toshiba's channel parts because they all have names like THNSNF512_random_numbers.

It's fine if you want to kick scream and fuss about OCZ's past but at some point you have to let it go.

nole16k

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Been using a refurb Vertex 4 for years and couldn't be happier with its performance. Haters just gonna hate I guess.

skipperkins

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
I actually have a 480gb Toshiba commercial ssd as well as an Intel boot drive, and both have been great. I recently filled all of our office PCs at work with OCZ Arc 100 SSDs (240gb), so we will see how much Toshiba has transformed OCZ's reliability.

I must admit that I have had multiple good experiences with Toshiba SSDs (commerical).

g-unit1111

Titan

I completely agree, I ran a Vertex 4 for the longest time until I upgraded to a 250GB Samsung 840 Evo. The Vertex4 was a great drive and I still use it on another machine. I'd buy a Vertex 150 for a new machine in half a second.

Samsung or Intel for SSD nothing else, been burnt too many times providing clients with rubbish inferior products from OCZ and such

I'll recommend Samsuing 9 times out of 10. I had an Intel 320 and absolutely hated it, even with a firmware update I still got BSODs left and right. Right now I'm running a Corsair Neutron XT and this is an awesome drive. 480GB and it's been rock solid and stable. I even may ditch the mechanical drive if I feel like it.

LordConrad

Distinguished
I've got no issues with OCZ. I've got two Vertex 2 drives and one Vertex 3, all still working perfectly.

Admittedly, my newer SSDs are all Samsung because I love the Magician software.

g-unit1111

Titan

That was mainly when the only controller available was the horrid Sandforce 2.0. Lots of manufacturers had problems with that controller and it wasn't limited to OCZ. They've been much better since buying Indilinx and manufacturing the proprietary Bigfoot controller, and now that they're owned by Toshiba, their drives get Toshiba NAND.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Intel and samsung bring quality products every time. Everyone else has a lot to prove if they're to be trusted, especially anyone who ever used a sandforce controller. Didn't I read soemthing the other day about a new sandforce controller? How are sandforce still in business?

alan1476

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
It sure is funny when I posted almost exactly the same thing as ChrisR you all bashed me, but when he posted it, now everyones an OCZ fan. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.