OCZ Trion 100 Series SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedik1

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
"Juliet in the eyes of Romeo"....lol....you guys really need to find better pickup lines.

IMO. SSD market is overcrowded at the moment. I think better emphasis should not be in performance as more or less all of them perform pretty good. I think more emphasis should be on cost reduction alone. Only when SSDs will be like 1TB~$80-$100 then only we can see wider adoption of SSDs.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
This drive is perfect and the ideal answer to those low budget builds that frequent the Toms forums. Yes, you can afford an SSD, Yes you can keep that 2/3 year old cheap computer and make it faster... no excuses now.

G

"most of it ended up in devices with low endurance like thumb drives and SD cards"

Can you please elaborate? I was under the impression that thumb drives and SD cards mostly used MLC or eMLC NAND?

I don't like these 19 and 16 nm chips. You need over-provision and complex ECC algorithms just to correct all the errors the drive outputs after a year or so. The industry is going in the wrong direction, IMO. Samsung has 40 nm 3D NAND, but it would be even better to have that at 65 nm. I don't mind paying 2-3x the price if the endurance is an order of magnitude better.

Even with RAM, do we really need more capacity over having ECC? Solar flares happen all the time. Data keeps growing and becoming more valuable, this is a real issue. Most people don't even checksum their data!

I guess if you're playing video games it doesn't matter. But content creators should care.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

It doesn't really. It's a company that's been butchered, restructured, and relaunched by Toshiba so really it's quite a new company.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

That's what enterprise products are for. They provide better stability and probably endurance as well. OCZ is a massive player in this field so you should check out their enterprise products. The semi-enterprise Vector 180 is pretty popular.

Phuntasm

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
I really hope this isn't meant to completely replace the Vertex line. Vertex were top of the line performers, while this is just a mediocre blaaah. "It's an SSD." I want to see a Vertex-like headliner, something to compete with the 850 Pro. Either way, where are them PCI-e uber-SSDs?

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

OCZ is building a wide range (yet poorly named...) SSD line. Vertex has always been and always will be the performers. Vector has always been and always will be the semi-pro with kool features. RevoDrive has always been and will be the traditional uber drives. Now Arc is the balanced mainstream, Trion is truly low end, and Radeon is... something else.

I'm sure Toshiba have something cool M.2 wise up their sleeve. Maybe the Vertex will become M.2 only uber drives, while Radeon takes it's traditional place. Maybe they'll come up with a new name.

Status
Not open for further replies.