OCZ Vector 256 GB Review: An SSD Powered By Barefoot 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
"In the real world, it's almost a certainty that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them (or a number of the nearly-as-fast but tangibly less expensive models featured each month in Best SSDs For The Money)."

This, This, This. All SSDs are pretty amazing at this point for me, the average user. What I care fare more about is - Are they reliable. At the moment, it still seems that Intel holds the reliability crown. Reviews like this are great, for sure, but they don't answer the most important question sadly.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]gnesterenko[/nom]"In the real world, it's almost a certainty that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them (or a number of the nearly-as-fast but tangibly less expensive models featured each month in Best SSDs For The Money)."This, This, This. All SSDs are pretty amazing at this point for me, the average user. What I care fare more about is - Are they reliable. At the moment, it still seems that Intel holds the reliability crown. Reviews like this are great, for sure, but they don't answer the most important question sadly.[/citation]

Let's make one thing clear. Endurance, reliability, durability, they all refer to different things.

When it comes to reliablity, everything we know is rather anecdotal. There are no published RMA rates (only return rates and for a 500 sample size), so its rather flawed. Second, two users subject their SSDs in different ways. The first may have more random data in their workload. You can't make an evaluation that drive x failed for user y therefore its bad. What you do matters. Unlike HDDs, performance and characteristics of the drive change based on what you do to it. Since no two users do the same thing with their system, the only real way to test this out is to get a few thousand SSDs, subject them to the same workload in a big data center for a few years. I'd love to do this but naturally, it's really not feasible. :)

Cheers,
Andrew Ku

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Hupiscratch[/nom]Do these drives (specially the Samsung 840) support TRIM in RAID 0 arrays or this is a property related to the chipset?[/citation]

That's a mobo thing. You're going to want a 7-series chipset from Intel.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
i dont care how much slower the crucial m4 is compared to the new kids on the block, I will keep stocking them for myself and company, since that is the only one that has never failed me.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Glad to hear the m4s are working out for you! Indeed, they have a pretty good track record.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku

G

I just hope that there won't be as many firmware updates with this drive. I got tired of that with my past 2 OCZ SSD's (Vertex 3 & Vertex Turbo). It was way too often, almost as much as my GPU drivers. That being said, they both have given me no issues whatsoever and run like champs. I see a 256GB Vector in my future.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
didnt ocz assure you last time it was their own controller until they were forced to admit they lied? now im guessing that even a company as shady as ocz wouldnt be dumb enough to try to pull the same stunt twice. i personally wouldnt touch a new ocz controller. if they can prove its stable and not a beta product that requires 10 firmware updates to become a stable consumer grade product then maybe i would consider it if the performance/price was better then the competition. that said im all for continued firmware development/support and i know there is no such thing as perfect bug free code but that is what validation testing is for and its unacceptable to release unfinished/broken products. otherwise ill take my chances with intel/samsung/crucial.

g-unit1111

Titan
It makes me very glad to see companies putting more time and effort into their SSDs rather than letting Sandforce do it for them. I have a Vertex 4 and it's a very impressive drive - I had my doubts about buying one but it's definitely impressed me so far. I am really interested to see what Bigfoot can do.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
It amuses me how many people say they'll stick with a particular model/brand of SSD because *insert reason*, as if
they've actually run statistically valid tests on a whole range of SSDs from which to draw any valid conclusion. :D
As Andrew said, everyone uses their SSDs in different ways. What works for one person may be invalid for
someone else.

Ian.

BrightCandle

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I am just waiting for the inevitable scandal. Seems everything OCZ sells is tainted with lies and I see no reason why they will break with tradition this time. The specification of this drive will at some point turn out to be outright lies, again. A decade of dishonesty seems to be a constant with OCZ.

xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
[citation][nom]BrightCandle[/nom]I am just waiting for the inevitable scandal. Seems everything OCZ sells is tainted with lies and I see no reason why they will break with tradition this time. The specification of this drive will at some point turn out to be outright lies, again. A decade of dishonesty seems to be a constant with OCZ.[/citation]

Mind pointing out their lies?

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]if only Vertex would have released before the Samsung 840Pro....Now, its Samsung's reliability vs OCZ's dubious past.[/citation]
I assume you mean Vector?

[citation][nom]acku[/nom]Let's make one thing clear. Endurance, reliability, durability, they all refer to different things.When it comes to reliablity, everything we know is rather anecdotal. There are no published RMA rates (only return rates and for a 500 sample size), so its rather flawed. Second, two users subject their SSDs in different ways. The first may have more random data in their workload. You can't make an evaluation that drive x failed for user y therefore its bad. What you do matters. Unlike HDDs, performance and characteristics of the drive change based on what you do to it. Since no two users do the same thing with their system, the only real way to test this out is to get a few thousand SSDs, subject them to the same workload in a big data center for a few years. I'd love to do this but naturally, it's really not feasible. Cheers,Andrew Ku[/citation]
Even my cheap 64gigabyte Kingston seems to fly(puts my old 3 x HDD raid 0 to shame). It feels basically the same as my M4's. Sucks that its firmware was destructive(Kingston, but it was a fast image either way).

Good Article.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]I assume you mean Vector?[/citation]

Yes, i meant Vector. The main competitor here is the Samsung 840Pro. And for desktop/client usage, the Samsung wins because of its Higher 4K random reads at QD1.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Sad how even a glowing review on a current product still gets tainted by old bigotry and predjudices. Silly me, I thought Tom's and PC's, hell tech in general, were about the best performance at the time. But, Intel made some slow ass 8088's and pathetic P3's once upon a time...

Status
Not open for further replies.