OCZ Vertex 3 vs WD VelociRaptor (Gaming)

Hidegski

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Right now I'm running everything including my OS and Game (Rift) off my 300gb WD VelociRaptor, but I found a decent deal on an OCZ Vertex3 60gb and I'm wondering if it will improve my gaming that much. My thought is I'd put my OS and Rift on the ssd and the rest on the Raptor.

Primarily I just game, but I definitely wouldn't mind an increase in overall performance. My question is how much of a gaming performance boost can I get with the SSD based off what I'm currently running with. Just looking to see if it's worth the $100 to upgrade to an SSD. If it make is easier, give a number from 1 to 10. Any other input is much appreciated since I'm not very knowlegable on SSDs.

Intel i5 2500k (OC to 4.5)
Gigabyte z68x-ud4
2 x 4gb g.skill Ripjaw X 1600
Evga GeForce GTX 460 Super OC 768mb
Rosewill 1000wt PSU
CM 212+ Cooler

Much thanks!

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
An SSD will not give you any noticeable improvement in game performance.

ie, you will not notice an increase in frame rates.

What you will notice however, is an improvement in game/level load times.

If you do go ahead with the SSD, I would recommend you install your OS on it.

Windows will load faster and in general will feel "snappier".

Hope this helps some.

Hidegski

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I know it's not going to help with the frame rates as far how it looks and moves, and I know the load times will definitely speed up, but I play mmos and load time for new areas wasn't much of a wait anyways.

I guess the main thing I was hopeing for was some improvement in loading of screens during the game play. I've heard that mmos expecially use your hdd all the time while playing (loading maps and new things in the distance). With that in mind, I just was wondering if it would be a notificable difference.