OCZ Vertex2 in Raid 0 question

gwalec

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hello
I have a gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo and i am wondering where best to install the raid 0 array: On the Intel ICH10 ports (0-5) or the gigabyte ports (ports 8-9). I have my cdrom/dvd writer and HDD on the ICH10 ports and i am wondering if it is not better for performance sake to install the raid on the two gigabyte ports (uses a gigabyte controller)? Will other devices on my ICH10 ports affect the array performance and if so should i use a dedicated controller like gigabytes to set up the array? conversely, should i move the cd roma and hdd onto prots 8 and 9 and set up the array on ports 0-1? Or does it even matter? Has anyone done this with this mobo? Has anyone had any issues with the intel or gigabyte controllers or heard of issues? Cheers!

You are going to have a bit of a performance problem. If I read the manual correctly, this board only has SATA II (3.0 Gb/s) ports, except on the Marvell controller, and they recommend against RAID0 on the Marvell controller. What a pickle.

From the Manufacturer's web site
South Bridge:

1. 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
2. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

Marvell 9128 chip:

1. 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
2. Support for SATA RAID 0, and RAID 1

* SATA3 RAID 0 4x and SATA3 2x performance are maximum theoretical values. Actual performance may vary by system configuration.
* SATA3 SSDs are not recommended for use in RAID 0 mode on Marvell SE9128 ports.

GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:

1. 1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
2. 2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_8, GSATA2_9) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
3. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD

JMicron JMB362 chip:

1. 2 x eSATA 3Gb/s connectors (eSATA/USB Combo) on the back panel sup- porting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
2. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD

He has Vertex 2s (SATA II) so he should be ok and get close to maximum performance. If he had Vertex 3 (SATA III) then he would have performance issues.