Question OCZ ZX 1250 PSU can i connect for CPU port to GPU.

Oct 5, 2019
I have a pieced together desktop from other desktops we have around the house. My question is the PSU has modulated connections and the cable from the "PCIE" PSU port to the GPU port was an 8pin to 6pin. With the "new" GPU this will not fit due to the 8 pin requirements. I do have a VGA Cable thats modulated 8 pin to 6+2 pin and this will fit in the PSU's CPU slot. Can i connect from the CPU to the GPU and still get proper power or is this a bad idea.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Not all modular PSUs follow the same wiring pattern at their ports. Using the wrong cable from a different PSU can be fatal to the PSU and/or the card. If you have a voltmeter, you can check voltages at the 6+2 pin end to see if it has the correct polarity on every pin.
Otherwise, contact the PSU's manufacturer and see if they offer a replacement cable for that PSU. Or check on ebay (for example) and see if anyone is selling cables for yours. Or a dead PSU like yours that you can get cheap and use the cables from.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Even though the "CPU" ports are black on the PSU, and the "PCIe" ports are gray, they have the same pinout. You can put a PCIe cable in a CPU port on the PSU and vice versa.
Wait. Are you referring to the CPU 4+4 pin port on the PSU? That is wired reverse polarity from the PCIe port, isn't it? Or is the cable itself where the polarity is reversed?
Or have I misunderstood the discussion?

Oct 5, 2019

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/ocz-zx-1250w/
If you look in the picture the gray ports are the PCI-E and the black are the CPU ports. I was wanting to know if i can go from the CPU ports to the GPU because i had a cable but i'm guessing thats a bad idea. I did find this on amazon will this work instead?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NV1Q66K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I appreciate you all trying to help.

The Amazon offer would be fine if that is your PSU.
But I may have misunderstood your question initially. I missed the part where you said you were wanting to use the CPU port instead of the proper PCIe port on the PSU because it fit the oddball cable. Unless you use a voltmeter to verify the polarity, I would not chance the incorrect cable. I also don't know if the over current protection on the CPU port is adequate for the GPU.

Oct 5, 2019
i'm not sure if i'm explaining this 100% correctly but the only cable i have that has 8 pins has two PCI-E Male connectors at the ends. The 8 pin PCI-E connector doesn't fit into the PCI-E slot on the PSU. It does fit into the CPU slot. I'm guessing i need another cable which i'll have to find which is fine.

If you look at the pins on the cable i have. there are 6 individual pins with 2 connected by that plastic piece on the housing. Its that plastic piece that prevents me from connecting to the PCI-E slot otherwise everything else seems to look the same. the cable connects to the GPU just fine. Look at the drawing below for an artistic example lol
l[o] [o] [o] [o]l
l[o] [o] [o] [o]l

Last edited:
Wait. Are you referring to the CPU 4+4 pin port on the PSU? That is wired reverse polarity from the PCIe port, isn't it? Or is the cable itself where the polarity is reversed?
Or have I misunderstood the discussion?

I was talking about the ports on the PSU.

i'm not sure if i'm explaining this 100% correctly but the only cable i have that has 8 pins has two PCI-E Male connectors at the ends. The 8 pin PCI-E connector doesn't fit into the PCI-E slot on the PSU. It does fit into the CPU slot. I'm guessing i need another cable which i'll have to find which is fine.

You're not explaining things well.

You have a PCIe cable. One side has 8-pins that plug into the PSU. One side has two PCIe connectors that go into the graphics card.

The part that plugs into the graphics card SHOULD NOT BE plugged into the PSU. You can't simply reverse a cable to use it as a CPU power connector.

So what you're saying is not that you don't have a place to plug in a CPU power cable... you simply do not have a CPU power cable and are asking if you can use a PCIe power cable. Correct?

The answer is "no".

The polarity is reversed. It simply will not work.

If you don't have the correct cable, maybe try eBay. But that PSU is old. Very old. Maybe it's time for a new one.

Oct 5, 2019
I was talking about the ports on the PSU.

You're not explaining things well.

You have a PCIe cable. One side has 8-pins that plug into the PSU. One side has two PCIe connectors that go into the graphics card.

The part that plugs into the graphics card SHOULD NOT BE plugged into the PSU. You can't simply reverse a cable to use it as a CPU power connector.

So what you're saying is not that you don't have a place to plug in a CPU power cable... you simply do not have a CPU power cable and are asking if you can use a PCIe power cable. Correct?

The answer is "no".

The polarity is reversed. It simply will not work.

If you don't have the correct cable, maybe try eBay. But that PSU is old. Very old. Maybe it's time for a new one.
NO both sides have the little tab. I understand what you are saying that i cannot plug into the CPU slot and i will try and obtain a cable via ebay or amazon. I wasn't aware this was an old PSU. Should the PSU's be upgraded as well? I only thought the amount of wattage mattered. Is there something else about the PSU that I need to know. I apologize i'm a nurse and can help you with medical jargan all day but i'm not an expert in this realm.