Question Odd ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard behavior (I think)

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I installed an ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard in my system with a AMD R9 3900X CPU in November 2019. All was working well. Now I am encountering some strange issues since the beginning of this year.

1. When Fast Boot is enabled, the system will start up to a blurry log-in screen with no login box. I have to reboot the system to
recover. If Fast Boot is disabled, there is not issue.
  1. All the USB 3.0 ports are acting wonky. Sometimes when I connect a flash drive (whether it is on the front or rear panel) the system plays back the sound that shows it recognized a USB device inserted. But I cannot open the drive in File Explorer. I have to remove and re-insert the flash drive for it to work.
  2. Device Manager shows a USB error "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).
I tried refreshing Windows 10 keeping all my apps and data and the errors persist. I just wiped the entire hard drive and did a complete fresh install of Windows 10. After the OS installation, I noted that the USB error remained. I made sure that the latest AMD chipset drivers and ASUS BIOS firmware were installed. After spending a day working on this, the same problems are popping up.

Now my question is, how likely is the problem motherboard related? Could it be the CPU or memory? Since the USB errors are persistent, i am leaning to the motherboard but the OS issues could be otherwise. Any suggestions or insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I tried submitting an online rma and kept getting rejected saying that the "serial number is undefined". That does not make sense because when i enter the serial number, it correctly populates the motherboard and model fields. I then entered all the requested fields (name, address, phone number, email, description of problem) and click on submit. It responds again with the serial number is undefined. It also states that a RMA was already issued for my motherboard which makes me wonder if the board was really new or refurbed since this is the first time I submitted the RMA.

Calling their support number gets me to an operator who insists that I must submit an online RMA. After several failed attempts, i sent an email to their corporate office.

Latest posts