Odd (backwards) Thermal Issues

happless

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Hiya all,
just thought i might see how many minds this issue blows. Basicly it seems that when my cpu drops to temps below 40c, my pc will power down, as though the mains has been cut. so the only way i can keep it running is to keep the cpu busy. I have seen far too many pc overheating to mention, however this must be the first ive encountered with an underheating problem! Any suggestions are welcomed.

Hardware
AMD Phenom 9950 Quad
Asus M3N79 Pro
(all other hardware has been tested as OK)

silverliquicity

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Thats pretty strange, maybe a safety feature is lowering the voltage and clock speed, but its lowering the voltage to much and it reboots.

Just a guess, try disabling any "hardware thermal control" or "Cool & quiet" in the BIOS. or just manually set the voltage higher yourself.

It may be a completely different problem, this is just my guess.

happless

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
heh...yeah, that was my first thought too silverliquicity. As i should have noted originally, i have everything set to manual control in bios. so cool n quiet etc are all disabled. Further this afternoon, i stripped the pc down and removed the cpu, dusted the socket and reset/re-timmed as needed. At this stage im wondering if there isnt a cracked track/solder joint somewhere that, when heated up, closes the connection, but once cpu cools, the gap opens and stuff freaks out. *shrug* maybe i just need to keep Minecraft's title menu running as that does an epic job of working my pc over like a something. :) At lest untill i has the $$s to do my next upgrade.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

If that's the case how does your computer start up??? Do you have to aim a hairdryer at the mobo to warm it up or something?

happless

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
As popatim suggested i must try a *nix boot on it some time and see if it still misbehaves.

Heh, almost fb39ca4 sometimes it can take a few tries to get it started from cool, as it will get part way thru the win 7 boot process and *BLAM* power off.

That said the fact it doesnt seem to do it during POST only once windows starts does make me wonder if it might yet be a software side issue.

ARRRRGGHH....this does my head in

happless

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
OOOOOOOOOOKAAYY!!!....I have been running off a debian live boot stick for the past 24 hours....without any dramas. on a number of occasions the CPU has dipped to 34C and the chipset managed 28 overnight. So no IBF if i can see WTH is causing this.

I have also done a clean, fresh insall of win7 and the issue is still present there.

So at this stage i throw my hands in the air and seriously consider a linux boot partition for daya to day stuff (of if only i could get a hold of expressgate software