Question Odd battery issue after replacing laptop's power jack ?

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,

I have an Asus laptop and the power jack was faulty, the battery would stop charging until I wiggled the connector, so I ordered a new one and replaced it, this is something I have done before and my soldering skills are decent, not an expert but not a beginner either.
I have removed hundreds of laptop motherboards before and never damaged one before

When I removed the old power jack the centre pin fell out, there was a clean break in it so that was definitely the problem.

After replacing the jack the laptop powers on with the power connected every single time now, so that is all good
BUT.......
with the power connected when Windows loads it shows "battery not detected", I unplug the power and it then shows 100% and it never decreases
With the power unplugged I can restart the laptop OK but if I shut down I can not power the laptop on again from battery power. The laptop will only power on if the power is connected.

I have tried a new battery but no different
I have installed Windows on a different SSD with the same results

Any ideas on what could be the issue?
Thanks

laZ1cQs.jpeg

Ralston18

Titan
Source for the replacement jack?

As I understand your description things are "on" when they should be "off" and vice versa.

Some mismatch that reversed or mixed up the connections.

Take a closer look at any documentation or pinouts diagrams being used. May be an error somewhere.

Doublecheck the pins and connection paths by using multimeter.

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
I
Source for the replacement jack?
ebay
As I understand your description things are "on" when they should be "off" and vice versa.
No, nothing like that at all

With the PSU connected the laptop turns on and when Windows loads it shows "battery not detected", I unplug the PSU and it then shows 100% but never decreases from 100%
From there I can unplug the PSU and the laptop stays powered on from the battery okl
I can restart the laptop OK on battery power
If I shut down on battery power the laptop shuts down ok but when I press the power button nothing happens. The laptop will only power on if the PSU is connected.

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
yes PSU = laptop charger

Asus K501UQ
Its not the original charger, its a Targus one that was charging the battery ok before

Battery reports are here - https://filetransfer.io/data-package/SSX9Xy6O#link

I have installed the Battery tracker app from MS Store and that just shows F where it should show the percentage

The battery meter app from MS Store shows the battery at 255%

The fact it will only turn on with the PSU connected means it can't be software so somehting must have gone wrong when I replaced the charger port

js2

Jul 16, 2024
Hi,

I have an Asus laptop and the power jack was faulty, the battery would stop charging until I wiggled the connector, so I ordered a new one and replaced it, this is something I have done before and my soldering skills are decent, not an expert but not a beginner either.
I have removed hundreds of laptop motherboards before and never damaged one before

When I removed the old power jack the centre pin fell out, there was a clean break in it so that was definitely the problem.

After replacing the jack the laptop powers on with the power connected every single time now, so that is all good
BUT.......
with the power connected when Windows loads it shows "battery not detected", I unplug the power and it then shows 100% and it never decreases
With the power unplugged I can restart the laptop OK but if I shut down I can not power the laptop on again from battery power. The laptop will only power on if the power is connected.

I have tried a new battery but no different
I have installed Windows on a different SSD with the same results

Any ideas on what could be the issue?
Thanks

laZ1cQs.jpeg
Check for charger recall. But DELL and HP used to be bad for these sorts of issues. Where the battery/charger went to hell if you changed the jack, or charger, as the ID chip would not "approve" it to work.