Odd behavior with PSUs and system

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Hi

I have an order system with Z77 Sabertooth MB, i5, GTX770 SLI and the other day my system crashed and I reset and the GTX 770 were not useable (system device disable and drivers said cards reported a problem) so I switched off and the system would not turn on. I tried taking out one of my cards and reboot, the system had no reaction. then I put in an old 800w PSU and he system booted up and ran ok. If I played games its would crash. so I bought a new PSU and installed power cables. At start up it would only flash quickly and not start up again even after full power down. I put the 800w back in and there was no problem starting up and using windows.

Please help is it a coincidence of a bad New PSU? Graphics cards? I don't think MB....
Thanks in Advance

Hok

Full system specs. Inlcuding all psu's you have used in detail please.

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Asus Z77 MB
Corsair 16Gb Ram
SSD Samsung 840 pro boot drive
i5 3570K
MSI GTX770 SLI
original PSU is Seasonic Platinum
800w is Antec Power Quattro
new replacement is Cosair HX1000i

All 3 are really high end psu's so that should not be an issue. Have you tried removing 1 of the 2 770's and running the system like that?

use the usbflash back make sure your mb has bios 2104 on it. use one gpu test each of the video slots see if the issue on one slot. the mb you have has plex chips on the video slots. one may have gone bad. to see go into the bios set the pci speed from 3x to 2x mode. also make sure the 3 part extra render chips is turned off.

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Yes the weird part is that the the two 1000W (original seasonic and new Cosair) don't work and the old 800w antech works with the 1 GPU installed.

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Thanks will try this and update.

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Very strange... I tried each GPU and in different slots and the new PSU would not start the system. Then I went barebone with only the ATX and CPU power cables... the system started up. So I plugged in GPUs and it still started... so turns out it was one of the hard drives... I put the first one in and it didn't start so I replaced the old cable (seasonic) with one that came with the new PSU (cosair)..... and the system started and is fine....

This is very strange because the 800w was able to use the old (seasonic cable) but the PSU refuses to use any cable other than its own on any of the drives..... weird but problem fixed... huh. Thanks to all.

Yeah those cables ARE NOT interchangeable usually and will often result in a fried system if done. You got EXTREMELY lucky that not replacing the modular cable with the one that came with the psu didn't kill your system.