Question Odd (better?) behavior after installing latest AMD Chipset drivers version 3.10.22.706 for AMD 5950x

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I just installed the latest AMD chipset driver version 3.10.22.706 in my system. I noticed some odd things,
  1. The AMD power plans are no longer listed in the Control Panel, Power Options settings. Found out that they were removed with the latest drivers because AMD now recommends you use the standard Windows power plans in the settings (when used with a Ryzen 5000 series CPU. Older Ryzen CPUs will still retain the previous functions and settings.)
  2. Before, when I selected Power Saver plan, the CPU would slow down to about 1800 MHz. Now the CPU is stuck at 4000 MHz on all cores.
  3. When selecting High Performance, the CPU is stuck at 4000 MHz on all cores when running Prime95 or Cinebench 20 (i.e. the CPU clock speed is set at 4000 MHz no matter what setting is selected. and never deviates from that clock setting). Under the old plans, the CPU would clock at about 4300 MHz on all cores with some cores hitting 5000 MHz.
  4. Performance actually increased. Cinebench 20 used to score 9600 with the old drivers. With the new drivers, the score increased to 10200, an increase of 5%.
  5. The CPU package temps used to hit 75 degrees but now peaks at 63 degrees.
In short, the new chipset package offers higher overall performance by running all cores at a consistent clock speed. The older drivers would have various clock speeds from anywhere from 3200 MHz to 5000 MHz when under stress. My guess is that the difference in clock speeds is inefficient in overall timings.

I just installed the latest AMD chipset driver version 3.10.22.706 in my system. I noticed some odd things,
  1. The AMD power plans are no longer listed in the Control Panel, Power Options settings. Found out that they were removed with the latest drivers because AMD now recommends you use the standard Windows power plans in the settings (when used with a Ryzen 5000 series CPU. Older Ryzen CPUs will still retain the previous functions and settings.)
  2. Before, when I selected Power Saver plan, the CPU would slow down to about 1800 MHz. Now the CPU is stuck at 4000 MHz on all cores.
  3. When selecting High Performance, the CPU is stuck at 4000 MHz on all cores when running Prime95 or Cinebench 20 (i.e. the CPU clock speed is set at 4000 MHz no matter what setting is selected. and never deviates from that clock setting). Under the old plans, the CPU would clock at about 4300 MHz on all cores with some cores hitting 5000 MHz.
  4. Performance actually increased. Cinebench 20 used to score 9600 with the old drivers. With the new drivers, the score increased to 10200, an increase of 5%.
  5. The CPU package temps used to hit 75 degrees but now peaks at 63 degrees.
In short, the new chipset package offers higher overall performance by running all cores at a consistent clock speed. The older drivers would have various clock speeds from anywhere from 3200 MHz to 5000 MHz when under stress. My guess is that the difference in clock speeds is inefficient in overall timings.
AMD Power Plans are deprecated for Ryzen 5000. You don't need them...and in fact they work really quite well with Windows' Balanced Power plan.

Power Saver seems to inhibit aggressive boosting, which is what you're seeing.

Just run the Balanced power plan. Open the Power and Sleep settings applet and you can select whether more or less energy/performance is your preference.

I think this all came about with the release of Windows 11 and Microsoft wanting things certain ways. At first Win11 mucked up Ryzen 5000performance. I wouldn't doubt that's why AMD removed their power plans with the update to chipset drivers.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS