Odd CPU drops causing games to lag.

NugLup

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Hello!
I've been having problems lately, and I just cannot seem to figure out why this keeps happening. It happened when I got a Corsair H60 due to my stock fan being quite loud. As this did help the temperatures, it started to cause unexplained CPU drops from 4.0GHZ to about 1.4GHZ while under heavy load, which causes the game to lag. I put the stock fan back on, and the CPU drops had stopped, but the loudness could not continue in my home, so I purchased a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO thinking that would fix the problem, but of course, the drops happen. In GTA V they have been happening quite frequently, probably every 30 seconds to 5 minutes. It lasts for about 10 seconds or so, but it makes it quite hard to play. My specs are below,

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0GHZ
GPU: GTX 760
RAM: 8GB of ram
MOBO: AsRock 970 Extreme4
PSU: Corsair CX750M 750W ATX Power Supply

st3v30

Admirable
Your mobo is not rly made for FX 8350.You see, when you remove your stock cooler you loser air flow over your VRM's heatsinks and it cause them to overheat and cause thermal throttle.One thing you can try is to put a fan that blows air on them while you have your H60 or 212 EVO on CPU that will keep them cool.

It doesn't happen with the stock fan because it blows on the VRMs to cool them. You need to add a small fan to cool them or use a CPU fan like the Noctua NH-C14 that cools the CPU and VRMs. ASRock's site says: * For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.

NugLup

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

Ah I see. Do you know of any motherboards that wouldn't cause this problem? I have another motherboard that is the Asus M5A97 R2.0, though I didn't use that one because I had a lot of blue screens with it, and I couldn't record with fraps correctly while using that motherboard.

NugLup

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

I think I will. But, since I have an extra fan would there be a way to position it to cool the vrms until I can get the Noctua NH-C14? Or maybe a cheaper one that isn't $80, but would do the same? It doesn't have to be very very quiet, just not as loud as the stock fan was.

NugLup

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

Would that be a solution to fix the blue screen errors I had with it?