Odd "digital" noise, seemingly coming from inside the chassis w/ reverb.

Apr 21, 2018
I have never experience this before now.

It started a couple months ago. I immediately checked all drivers and OS updates. Then I checked for viruses both manually and software aided.

The sound comes from inside the chassis. It sounds like a digital burble with a slight reverb and lasts for a second. As far as I know there is no cycle, it happens at random.

I built this computer five years ago, so I'm sure a component will have to be replaced sometime soon. Could this be the sound of a failing component? Everything is working correctly...as far as I can tell.

Thanks

Solution
If that is the case, then you can change the sounds on the Windows Theme page. At the top, you can change the current theme sound, pointer, background, or color to your tastes.
The two prime candidates are coil whine and fan noise due the blades coming into contact with something or a faulty bearing. The fan noise is relatively easy to track down. While the noise is happening put your finger (or a pencil eraser) on the hub of the fan. As the fan slows the noise will change pitch on the affected fan. Then just replace the fan.

The coil whine isn't something you can fix until the component fails. Coil can be foun in the power supply, but they are also found on graphics cards and motherboards.

Here is a video on coil whine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

Apr 21, 2018

Well, it isn't either of those. The sound wasn't physical though, it was a digital. After researching it more, I found that it may have been a sound setting in windows 10. Since adjusting the stereo mixer I haven't heard it. So it may actually be something that stupid.