Question Odd Fan Speeds?

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
So I inherited a HP Elite desktop, 2010 vintage. It has a strange name Truckee aka Pegatron mobo, X58 chipset. It has 8 GB RAM, Core i7-920 (stock, no oc). It was a client's machine that I was given after I migrated it. I stuck a hard drive in and loaded Windows 10 on it. Now here's the issue. The CPU fan speeds are wonky, and I get a CPU fan failure error sometimes on boot. The fan would speed up to 2500 or 2600 rpm sometimes erratically so put in a new cmos battery, but that didn't work. I put a new CPU fan in it, pwm 4-pin (same as stock) and that didn't help. I checked the CPU temps and they seemed high 55-60C, so I checked CPU usage and it would spike at 20% sometimes due to Windows Defender (I fixed that), but even at 2% the fan runs at 2350 to 2400 rpm. I switched around the rear case fan to get more airflow and got the temps down to 41-44C at idle, but the fan still runs fast 2300-2400 and is quite noisy even with the case closed up.

I know the i7 is a 130w part, but it has a nice tower cooler with the fan inside so I don't think it should be running so fast. Its clean and free of dust. I tried using speedfan to mess with the speeds, but I don't think the motherboard supports it.

Any ideas? Is the motherboard going bad? Do I need to change the fan?

SItSJc4.jpg

GVythzj.jpg

allamerican1776

Commendable
May 6, 2019
Do you by chance use arctic silver paste on the chip? My Sony laptop I-7 chip use to run almost constantly uintil a buddy added some paste and it didn't run again noticeably for months. Slowly it will be noticeable. It lasts about a year.

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Not Arctic, but I did change out the old paste with new stuff had that I got off the Internet. I use it a lot on my led projects and it works great. I was thinking of reseating the cooler, but I don't know if that week work since it's pretty tight.