playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
So, I just built my new rig with a EVGA hybrid cooled 2080 Super and an AMD R7 3800x. I also have the CPU Liquid Cooled by the Corsair H100i Platinum Liquid Cooler. I will post the remainder of my system specs now:

Computer Information:
Manufacturer: System manufacturer
Model: System Product Name
Form Factor: Desktop
No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
CPU Brand: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor
CPU Family: 0x17
CPU Model: 0x71
CPU Stepping: 0x0
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 3893 Mhz
16 logical processors
8 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Supported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:
Windows 10 (64 bit)
NTFS: Supported
Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
DirectX Driver Name: nvldumd.dll
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3602
DirectX Driver Version: 26.21.14.3602
Driver Date: 8 16 2019
OpenGL Version: 4.6
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 143 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0x1e81
Revision: 0xa1
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Desktop Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Primary Display Size: 23.54" x 13.23" (26.97" diag)
59.8cm x 33.6cm (68.5cm diag)
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary VRAM: 8191 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
Audio device: Dell S2716DG (2- NVIDIA High De

Memory:
RAM: 16302 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Media Type: Undetermined
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 3337865 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 1879626 Mb
OS Install Date: Dec 31 1969
Game Controller: Controller (SteelSeries Stratus Duo) detected
VR Headset: None detected

I wanted to test it out with Battlefield 1, a favorite of mine, and I got...poor frame rates and a weird DX Crash error wherein my GPU was apparently removed? The weirdness of THAT aside, I then proceeded to give my GPU a modest +115 OC along with some raising to its power limit and MEM clocks as well (Via MSI Afterburner). After this, I switched my PC to AMD High Performance Plan AND I turned Bf1 to High Performance in the Nvidia Control Panel. Now I get a VERY unstable 120fps average in BF1 with max ultra everything at 1440p. Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't my GPU be able to reach the 144Hz refresh rate of my monitor with ease? I even turned down AA and A-filtering and it STILL just fluxuates from 75 to 120 wildly. The last thing I tried was changing my PhysX Engine to my GPU and that did nothing. Please help me. Could it be a CPU bottleneck? Idk. I am afraid to OC my new CPU. I should not have to. My GPU barely even touches around 100% usage in game, choosing rather to fluxuate between 75% and 90%. WHY is this happening (sadness). This system is BRAND new. I do not understand. Yes my drivers for the GPU are all up to date and I am 99% sure my chipset drivers for the CPU are too. Thank you!

[EDIT]---The crashing keeps happening...please help.

Last edited:
Solution
Check your MB product page support tab for possible BIOS updates that might better support the new Ryzen 3000 series. Also, RAM speed is important to get the most out of a Ryzen, it should be at least 3200. It's also adequate to just set the NCP Power management to Prefer max performance. The two might be conflicting. When you set your power plan in Windows it want to stay at High Performance continuously, whereas in NCP, it can be set per game to max as you said. The thing is though, via NCP it will only stay at max when that game is running, which is why it's the better way to do it. Leave the W10 plan on Balanced.

That said, it's one thing to run a game like BF1 at ultra on 1440p, quite another to run it at 144Hz expecting it to...
Check your MB product page support tab for possible BIOS updates that might better support the new Ryzen 3000 series. Also, RAM speed is important to get the most out of a Ryzen, it should be at least 3200. It's also adequate to just set the NCP Power management to Prefer max performance. The two might be conflicting. When you set your power plan in Windows it want to stay at High Performance continuously, whereas in NCP, it can be set per game to max as you said. The thing is though, via NCP it will only stay at max when that game is running, which is why it's the better way to do it. Leave the W10 plan on Balanced.

That said, it's one thing to run a game like BF1 at ultra on 1440p, quite another to run it at 144Hz expecting it to stay at 144 FPS. Particularly when you hit the Arditi mission, which can be laggy in spots. Worse yet the Ryzen chips, even 3000 series, have twice the latency of Intel, largely due to being tied to RAM speed.

Hard to find any 3800x examples yet, especially on older games, but this guy is averaging well under 120 FPS in BFV on same GPU even with a 9900k (144 Hz display at 1440p). FPS are going to dip less and remain more steady on an Intel.

Last edited:
Solution

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018

That said, it's one thing to run a game like BF1 at ultra on 1440p, quite another to run it at 144Hz expecting it to stay at 144 FPS. Particularly when you hit the Arditi mission, which can be laggy in spots. Worse yet the Ryzen chips, even 3000 series, have twice the latency of Intel, largely due to being tied to RAM speed.

Hard to find any 3800x examples yet, especially on older games, but this guy is averaging well under 120 FPS in BFV on same GPU even with a 9900k (144 Hz display at 1440p). FPS are going to dip less and remain more steady on an Intel.

Ok so I have kinda just accepted that it won't reach my desired framerate. It still shouldn't be lag spiking to THIS degree right? I mean...My laptop with a 1070 and a 7700hq I7 ran this game smoother than this. Surely there is something wrong. My CPU won't even boost to the advertised 4.5! I have never even seen it boost past 4.3 IN GAME. I just feel sorta disappointed and confused is all.

Again, what RAM speed are you running? Merely pasting the System Info file is not very specific. Also what PSU are you using? You also haven't said what MB you're using or if you even checked if it has a BIOS update available specifically for Ryzen 3000 (usually will just say new or latest CPU model).

RTX cards can be quirky in some games. Most say the GDDR 6 VRAM is the cause. It can depend which games you're playing though. Like I said though, BF1 is not well optimized in some spots. Maybe try other games, like Ghost Recon Wildlands if you have it.

I would also leave the GPU at stock speed to eliminate the possibility of an unstable OC.

Last edited:

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
Again, what RAM speed are you running? Merely pasting the System Info file is not very specific. Also what PSU are you using? You also haven't said what MB you're using or if you even checked if it has a BIOS update available specifically for Ryzen 3000 (usually will just say new or latest CPU model).

RTX cards can be quirky in some games. Most say the GDDR 6 VRAM is the cause. It can depend which games you're playing though. Like I said though, BF1 is not well optimized in some spots. Maybe try other games, like Ghost Recon Wildlands if you have it.

I would also leave the GPU at stock speed to eliminate the possibility of an unstable OC.

My RAM is Gskill Trident 16Gb clocked at 3600 MhZ. My PSU is the Corsair RM850x. My MB is the ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero Viii. I am running what I believe to be the latest BIOS. I am not sure what a CPU specific BIOS is but I am running what shows up as the latest revision. It is just weird. The game is relatively smooth and then at like 15 second intervals, it will randomly lag spike and then quickly go back to being decent. This may actually be a GPU issue? I am running and EVGA Hybrid cooled 2080 Super for reference. The GPU usage graph shows that there may be a power issue. Idek anymore. Haven't been able to fixed it all day. Still looking for help on this one.
Thanks!

Are you running DX 11 or DX 12 ingame? If Dx12 enabled, try turning that off/force DX 11

Adjusting FFR may help ingame as well. YMMV as the more lookahead frames you have the more input lag you will seem to get.

Perfectly smooth 144Hz will require 6.9ms frame times, every single frame.

Since you are running an NVidia GPU, if you are not already running one, a G-sync variable refresh monitor could help somewhat helpful. That would go into a long winded explanation of frame times.

Last edited:
My RAM is Gskill Trident 16Gb clocked at 3600 MhZ. My PSU is the Corsair RM850x. My MB is the ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero Viii. I am running what I believe to be the latest BIOS. I am not sure what a CPU specific BIOS is but I am running what shows up as the latest revision. It is just weird. The game is relatively smooth and then at like 15 second intervals, it will randomly lag spike and then quickly go back to being decent. This may actually be a GPU issue? I am running and EVGA Hybrid cooled 2080 Super for reference. The GPU usage graph shows that there may be a power issue. Idek anymore. Haven't been able to fixed it all day. Still looking for help on this one.
Thanks!
Well, that's certainly decent spec, as long as the RAM is rated at 3600 vs pushed to a high OC. If the latter, run it at it's rated speed in XMP. As long as it's at least 3200, it should be fine. With RAM, stability is as important as speed.

Like I said though, maintaining 144 FPS at Ultra settings and 1440p even with a 2080 Super in today's games is no small feat, and the above video proves it even with a CPU with more raw gaming power.

As the last poster verified, it's a fairly complex thing, and the display you use can come into play. I can't stress enough though that Intel CPUs hold a tighter FPS window than even the latest Ryzens. I personally wouldn't touch a Ryzen unless all my gaming was done via streaming.

On this topic, the bottom lines for me are...

1. Intel for raw gaming, Ryzen for streaming
  2. 144Hz+ displays for eSports games that easily yield high FPS

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
Well, that's certainly decent spec, as long as the RAM is rated at 3600 vs pushed to a high OC. If the latter, run it at it's rated speed in XMP. As long as it's at least 3200, it should be fine. With RAM, stability is as important as speed.

Like I said though, maintaining 144 FPS at Ultra settings and 1440p even with a 2080 Super in today's games is no small feat, and the above video proves it even with a CPU with more raw gaming power.

As the last poster verified, it's a fairly complex thing, and the display you use can come into play. I can't stress enough though that Intel CPUs hold a tighter FPS window than even the latest Ryzens. I personally wouldn't touch a Ryzen unless all my gaming was done via streaming.

On this topic, the bottom lines for me are...

1. Intel for raw gaming, Ryzen for streaming
  2. 144Hz+ displays for eSports games that easily yield high FPS

Well I am certainly not a streamer but I do want that extra workstation multitasking performance at a lower price. So Ryzen seemed like the better bet for me personally. I AM currently running the Dell2716dg G-Sync, monitor. I feel I should reiterate, other games play fine so it prolly is not a GPU thing. It may be a compatibility thing (Ryzen does not like battlefield? RTX cards do not like battlefield?). My CPU STILL will not reach its specified boosts tho! Locked at 4.35. Never seen it actually hit that advertised 4.5. Something still seems very wrong. It goes from like 160 FPS for like 10 mins and then lag spikes hard then goes back. Then the game crashes and tells me my GPU was removed. And yes I am running DX11.