Question Odd freezings. Suspect graphic card.

Jul 8, 2019
Hi! Noob here. I have random freezings with my computer and I'm trying to check any component.
Looking at the graphic card (Shappire R9 280X), I see in the specs it needs 750W (https://www.cnet.com/products/sapphire-radeon-r9-280x-dual-x-oc-graphics-card-radeon-r9-280x-3-gb/).

¿Does that means 750W power supply or 750W only for the graphic card at maximun? Because who built my computer installed a 750W power supply...

Note: Freezing totally. You need to unplug and plug again. No alert or error screen in any way.
Note2: Checked every component and peripheric except for the graphic card, motherboard and micro.

Thank you in advance.

Built in 2014, Windows 10 PRO

AMD FX Series FX-9590 4.7Ghz 8X
Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X UEFI 3GB GDDR5
Crucial M500 240GB SSD SATA3
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0
Nox Urano VX 750W PFC
Enermax Liqtech 120X
2x Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3 1866 PC3-14900 8GB CL9

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019
The 750W refers to the PSU that's required, it clearly says on that page (your link): Required Power Supply - - 750W
My doubt is if the GC plus other devices, drives, motherboard can ba exceding de 750W and causing the freezings.
It's not clear to me how much energy the GC needs at full performance and if there is enough for the rest of components to work properly.

Crashes only when at graphical activity, let's say games or videos. Thats why I supposed something with the GC but could be anything I suppose.
Maybe damaged areas in the GC RAM? Maybe nothing with the GC? Don't know how to check.

If the PSU was really struggling or couldn't supply enough juice for everything it would fail and system would immediately go dead like a sudden power cut.

I'm not a gamer (I don't do anything graphically intensive on my PC) so I'm of little use to you there. I would post your system's full specs and explain that it keeps freezing, hopefully a few gamers will chip in with suggestions.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Knowing your full system specs including make and model of PSU would help. Also how old is the system and the PSU?

You said no error or alert, just asking to clarify, have you had BSODs as well or just freezes?

The need to power cycle the PSU (cut electricity off and then plug back in) might indicate a PSU that is failing or not sufficient anymore maybe due to ageing.

Jul 8, 2019
Knowing your full system specs including make and model of PSU would help. Also how old is the system and the PSU?

You said no error or alert, just asking to clarify, have you had BSODs as well or just freezes?

The need to power cycle the PSU (cut electricity off and then plug back in) might indicate a PSU that is failing or not sufficient anymore maybe due to ageing.
Post description updated with system specs. No BSODs at all, just freezes and no sound. Screen keeps on, freezed, and keeps forever... Only way to hold restart button on cpu or unplug.

Jul 8, 2019
If the PSU was really struggling or couldn't supply enough juice for everything it would fail and system would immediately go dead like a sudden power cut.

I'm not a gamer (I don't do anything graphically intensive on my PC) so I'm of little use to you there. I would post your system's full specs and explain that it keeps freezing, hopefully a few gamers will chip in with suggestions.
Thank you, post description updated with system specs.
It is not a power cut so maybe is something broken...

It worked well a good time but after a while (maybe months, don't remember) it starte to crash. Probably something with the heat, since It occurs more often in summer (a lot more). I supposed something with the PSU because with the temperature maybe needs some extra for the fans... But maybe is just a damaged micropocessor... I'm lost, only clue is the temperature but appears to be really random. Sometimes many hours without crashes, sometimes crashes every 5min...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thank you, post description updated with system specs.
It is not a power cut so maybe is something broken...

It worked well a good time but after a while (maybe months, don't remember) it starte to crash. Probably something with the heat, since It occurs more often in summer (a lot more). I supposed something with the PSU because with the temperature maybe needs some extra for the fans... But maybe is just a damaged micropocessor... I'm lost, only clue is the temperature but appears to be really random. Sometimes many hours without crashes, sometimes crashes every 5min...
A faulty PSU can also cause random crashes - for example if it doesn't appropriately feed stable power to the GPU, the GPU may "crash" before the PC simply shuts down or restarts.

CPU damage is rare, it happens, but I would always go through all the other components first.

How have you verified that RAM isn't the problem?

Does the issue occur only under load? Does it occur in safe mode? Do you have latest drivers and BIOS?

Jul 8, 2019
A faulty PSU can also cause random crashes - for example if it doesn't appropriately feed stable power to the GPU, the GPU may "crash" before the PC simply shuts down or restarts.

CPU damage is rare, it happens, but I would always go through all the other components first.

How have you verified that RAM isn't the problem?

Does the issue occur only under load? Does it occur in safe mode? Do you have latest drivers and BIOS?
RAM: I buyed a new one. Problem persist, so now I have double RAM. Of course persist with double too.
Made the same with the SSD. Tested any other peripheral so can be PSU, GC or micro/motherboard.

I also have to say I believe it could be the PSU or the CPU having issues. When the computer comes to a hard halt, it means it's a problem with the "core" (I'd say Kernel, but hey) of the PC. That "core" has little components that can be at fault: power delivery and CPU+RAM. As you've already discarded the RAM, then the CPU and PSU remain. The third option, it could be the motherboard fried a VRM?

That CPU is really power hungry, so the amount of power (and heat as consequence) is quite a lot and will affect components.

Cheers!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Post description updated with system specs. No BSODs at all, just freezes and no sound. Screen keeps on, freezed, and keeps forever... Only way to hold restart button on cpu or unplug.

As I said before, I suspect it's the PSU. I doubt it can deliver enough power to 2 power hungry components' namely your CPU + your GPU under load/gaming.

You didn't say how old the unit is but chances are it could not even deliver the power the label claims even when it was brand new. But it somehow managed, after a few years PSUs lose some of their juice (low-quality units even more so) and now it can't handle the load. If possible borrow a good quality PSU and see if crashes happen again. Even a decent 550-650W PSU can handle that load.

The randomness of the crashes and the fact that you say sometimes it goes hours without crashing somehow rule out a thermal issue with temps and also point to a faulty/failing PSU.

With thermal issues you can more or less repeat them within the same time frame from boot up with the same load. You run a game with certain settings at certain resolution and every time within a similar time frame the component reaches the threshold temp (which it can not handle anymore) and boom.

I didn't want to say outright in my first post that the PSU is a low quality unit and should be avoided, especially with such components.

RAM: I buyed a new one. Problem persist, so now I have double RAM. Of course persist with double too.
Made the same with the SSD. Tested any other peripheral so can be PSU, GC or micro/motherboard.

Not sure why you would try RAM and a new drive, most likely issue is the poor quality power supply. Another issue is that the power supply could have caused damage to other components, so the video card or something else may be bad now as well.