Odd FSB overclocking wall - Q8300

Josephclarke333

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
I've had an old system with a gtx 275, Q8300, Gigabyte GA-EP41T-UD3L, and 2 4gb sticks of mismatch RAM.

I just use it for light everyday tasks and some video editing in Kdenlive and some 2D games here and there as I don't like to keep my main PC for games only. It would be nice to be able to get a little more out of the CPU as it is such a good overclocker (or so I have heard).

Every time I try to dial in an overclock I just can't seem to get it to post. I have loosened the timing on the ram right up, tried a considerable amount more voltage (The CPU will run stable on stock clocks at 1.2V). Alass no matter what I try it won't post at over 2.55ghz.

After all this I figured I would have one more try, this time I backed down the multiplier then upped the FSB (only 15mhz above stock) and it still failed to post despite the cpu being at just 2.2ghz.

No matter what clocks the CPU and ram are running at (even without a GPU or any other PCI cards) the board won't post on any more than exactly 341mhz though it runs completely stable on 340mhz on all stock voltages.

It's got me stumped, a bad chipset mabye?

(Sorry for the badly worded inconcise question, I just got out of an 8 hour exam)