[SOLVED] Odd inexplicable behaviour in file explorer

Oct 15, 2019
This is not, I think, a serious problem, but it is very odd and I can't think of an explanation.

I use the Libraries feature to organise my data files and folders, most of which are held on a second HDD. Within a Documents Library, I have many folders including one named "Xmas". Within that folder I created numerous sub-folders which all behave as they should. However, If I create a sub-folder called "Xmas photos", it doesn't work properly. By that I mean that if I create a further subfolder, within "Xmas photos", it appears on the left side of file explorer (underneath "Xmas photos") but not on the right side. Any files placed in either "parent" or "child" subfolder appear in both. Deleting in either deletes them in both.

Two more facts make this especially odd. First, in all cases, it all works properly if I simply view these folders in the library target (ie. HDD) rather than from within the Library. Second, if I change just one letter of the folder name, eg render it as "Xms photos", it all works properly!

I can delete these folders and recreate them from scratch, but if it is called "Xmas photos", then the odd behaviour returns.

Can anyone explain it?

Solution
I'm guessing it's a problem with the parent folder itself. Try this, create a new folder and copy all of the contents of that folder named Xmas into it so they are not lost.

Next, delete that folder. Now, empty the recycle bin. Restart the computer. Create a NEW folder named Xmas and copy all of the files back into it. Now try again.
What about if you do not put a space betwen the two words, like Xmasphotos or Xmas-photos?

And no, I have no answer for why it's doing that although I suspect it's likely a bug in the version. What build version of Windows 10 are you running? If you are not sure, simply type "winver" without the quotes in any search or run field and hit enter.

Oct 15, 2019
Yes - excluding the space fixes it too. Perhaps there's a simple answer although, if so, I've not come across it before. Could it be that we are not "allowed" to begin a folder and its subfolder with the same word, ie. Xmas?

I have the very latest version of W10 with new updates from last week's monthly fix from MS. I can't say whether this behaviour began then, but it might have done. I am pretty sure the latest MS monthly update damaged my "Windows Photo Viewer", which I fixed by amending the Registry.

Oct 15, 2019
I've disproved my last suggestion - that we are "not allowed" to use same name. Tried it with another word, and had no problems. Looks like it is only a problem with "Xmas photos" in the Library!

I'm guessing it's a problem with the parent folder itself. Try this, create a new folder and copy all of the contents of that folder named Xmas into it so they are not lost.

Next, delete that folder. Now, empty the recycle bin. Restart the computer. Create a NEW folder named Xmas and copy all of the files back into it. Now try again.

Solution