Question Odd issue regarding a mapping software on Win10 + Nvidia

May 20, 2019
Hello, I didnt think I would ever ask general forums for help, but specific ones arent helpful, since this is a deeper OS + GPU problem, the software is ancient and its rather the OS+GPU issue than software, and needs an expert.

Short to myself: I am not a beginner but also not a high expert, i have advanced knowledge about OS and GPU's and general troubleshooting of pretty much anything so far, but nothing too fancy like this issue.

Obligatory: I am a modder and an artist so i work with several 3D/Level design softwares, including ancient ones from 2006-2009. But my problem is Win10 mainly which has some odd behaviour with a particular programm.

My relevant specs: GTX 1060, 16GB Ram, SSD, i5 3450.

So to the issue:

Its related to a programm called Unreal Level Editor, or UE2004 to be more exact. A game im modding for and anything else is irrelevant in this case.

The problem is that the viewports are being rendered in D3D8 or 9 or OpenGL(I tried all), and whenever I am using any mouseclicks for context menus or selection of objects, the software freezes up for 5-15 seconds (Basically anything related to viewport interactions)

Some important information regarding days of my researches and narrowing down the culprit:

I did work with it a while back in 2017 on Win10 64 Home Desktop, and had the same issue, but went through and bit the bullet.

Around that time I tried it on a Win8 Pro 64bit Laptop (4GB Ram and an ancient i3 CPU), no gpu was used for the software, purely on CPU, and it worked fine.

Now in 2019 I went back to modding with it, and my system was upgraded a bit (or reinstalled), its now Win10 64 Pro, I hoped the issue wont come back, but its still there.

After tried literally hundreds of things, even the basic ones (obviously) like different gpu drivers, disabling GameDVR, etc. I realized its a Win10 issue, but this was not enough, so I asked a friend who uses the programm too, he is on Win8 + Nvidia, and he has absolutely no issues (Ka-ching!)

So my thought:

I use Win10 + Nvidia = problems.

He uses Win8 + Nvidia = no problems.

So I went straight ahead and disabled my GPU on the Win10... opened the editor.. and wow, its working 😮 What the actual hell?

I made some more research and narrowed it down to D3D drivers or OpenGL itself, nvidia has nothing to do with it at all, it's some kind of issue with Win10 and those drivers.

And this is where I need an expert, who knows how D3D/OpenGL which renders those viewports, is responsible for the freezes.

One thing worth mentioning, those freezes are just 1 second max. when no map is loaded in the viewports (empty project, but still freezes), and is 5-15 seconds long depending on size of the file loaded.

Ram is by far not full, the limit is 2GB (I modified the EXE even for 4GB), but generally never uses more than 900MB.

I really hope there is an expert out here, who can at least give me some ideas of what i can try to narrow down that problem even more.

And I am very very greatful for any help for this desperate chicken (yes literally desperate).

If you need any more information, I will check this thread very often during the day to answer it fast as possible!

Thanks for reading and eventual help

May 20, 2019
Nvidia make an array of drivers for creative professionals and for people who just game . Which drivers are you on? There are drivers listed under CRD, that are meant for Creative Developers.
Now.. that you mention it, i recently heard about it.. totally got out of my head, since i thought the creative developers drivers are just extra tools on top of the same driver, like Nvidia Experience, will give it a shot then if its a completely different driver! Will report back later. Thanks!

PS: Please let it work 🙏

May 20, 2019