[SOLVED] Odd issue with PC, various signs but no idea what could be broken ?

WaffleToasted

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2016
Goodmorning everybody,

I am making this thread because I am unsure what the problem could be, if there is a problem and what I can do to solve this before it gets any worse.
My system:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM 32gb Corsair vengeance
Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro
gpu: GTX 1080
psu: 750W

Okay what has been happening?
I recently moved to a new house, I did a cable check on the pc, removed the gpu before the initial moving but something odd has been happening ever since.
The ram inside is about a year old now, it runs at 3200 hz, I had xmp (or whatever Asus calls it) turned on ever since I got this motherboard and never had issies with it.

At some point I wanted to play some new game with some friends (phasmophobia or whatever) and at random times by pc would turn itself off hard, like someone pulled the plug.
If I rebooted I wouldn't get any errors and nothing would seem odd, I checked cabled just in case and nothing seemed bad.
I changed my nvidea driver settings to set the game's max fps to 24 just in case it was due to the game's unoptimization and it seemed to be doing the trick.

The a couple days ago I was watching a movie, some friends asked me to join (this is about 2 weeks after changing the above settings and nothing happening in between) and I start Steam and the same thing happens.
However this time if I would boot it it would post (as in Asus splashscreen) and turn itself off again, this would then loop 3 times until my mobo gave signs that something was causing system instability.

Now I have never adjusted anything other than the xmp back when I got this motherboard (3 years ago) even after switching ram from 16gb to 32gb about 7 months ago.
I tried rebooting with just a monitor and the same thing happened however if I defaulted the bios settings, merely turning off the xmp then it would post and get into windows.

There I did a lot of stresstesting for the cpu, then gpu and finally both at the same time and nothing awkward happened.
I then went back into the bios and turned XMP on again and the same symptom happened again until I turned xmp off again.
This I think is odd cause I have been able to use this setting for months without issues. My friend says I might just have been lucky.

So far nothing odd happened in the day after, I do my daily work on this pc and I never have had issues while working (I use maya, mudbox and substance painter all very heavy on the components).
This morning while playing some magic I noticed my recently bought extra harddisc (2tb WD) was rebooting itself a few times and saw a pop up from windows that the device had been detected.
Never happened before either.

And while typing this post I had my Magic Arena program open on another monitor, somewhere midway the program started showing a: connecting to server message.
When I tried to close it using taskbar I noticed my taskbar menu was hanging, then the entire system was hanging and I manually turned the pc off using the power button.

I rechecked and gave all mobo and psu cables an extra push just to be sure everything is connected, and I am also happy the website has saved the post I had typed so far.

But what could be the issue here?
Are these signs that the motherboard is dying?
I am thinking of getting myself a lose usb stick to update the bios to maybe see if that could be an issue?
I still have my old ram in case it is the ram that could be faulty, the only thing I have not done is a memtest but I am considering it.

Any replies are appreciated, thanks for reading.

Solution
Unfortunately, the ram support on that motherboard differs according to the generation of cpu.
Here is the qvl link for the 2000 series processors.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...mory-QVL-Ryzen-2nd--Generation-processors.pdf
A cursory look does not seem to support ram past 3000 speed.
And, ram in 4 slots seems to be more restrictive.

ryzen is picky about ram.
If you can, update the bios to currency; ram issues are the most common issues fixed.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made...

WaffleToasted

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2016
I just wanted to update the issue, this morning I readied a usb stick to run memtest86, when I ran the test with 2 sticks it would critical error aka shut down hard after 7 min on the cpu test. This repeated 3 times, the times varried but all on the first pass cpu.

I now have 1 ram stick in the motherboard and the first pass for the cpu came out smooth with 0 errors, now halfway through the second pass.

After this full run finishes, cause the ram is after the cpu, I am also trying it with the other stick to see what happens. Hopefully this can give aome answers.

I also have my old ram still so depending on the result I can also test or use that till it is properly fixed.

No matter if your RAM is 3200 MHz or not, that is technically an OC on the RAM, and, there is no certainty that every 2700X on every X470 Pro is going to be forever rock solid at 3200 MHz....; naturally, you can test with most recent BIOS, and/or, try a tested/certified RAM kit validated with your mainboard...

WaffleToasted

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2016
My old ram is certified, I think this one also but after googling on xmp system instability with the ram type I saw multiple people have this problem while using ryzen. The thing is now with xmp off it was displaying odd behaviour which leads me to think something is faulthy.

Atm pass 2 on the cpu is almost done using 1 ramslot, still no errors.
Past results: using both usb slots caused 3 repeated critical errors while testing

Still to do: finish this entire test, this also excludes the cpu as faulthy far as I know.
Do another with the other stick.

Check results.

If possible put in the old certified ram, turn on xmp and see what happens.

WaffleToasted

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2016
Okay good news, the issue is resolved.
After using memtest on the first memory stick it came out passed/green.
When I put on only the other one the system would run but not post or anything, no signals at all nobody was home.

Pretty obvious that this ramstick was broken.

So I put in my old ram, Gskill 16gb and turned on the xmp and it loads windows without any problems.
I am going to try everything out by running some games and hopefully not run into any problems.

Reactions: Grobe and Vic 40

WaffleToasted

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2016
I will update it right away.
I also have a question, for work reasons I want to go back to 32gb ram.
Now I can buy another set of 2 sticks of the same gskill ram I have now, extending the amount from 16gb to 32gb.
Since this ram is on the QVL, and the QVL doesn't really have any 32gb ram on it, would this be a better options than buying another kit of 2 sticks (32gb in total)?

Unfortunately, the ram support on that motherboard differs according to the generation of cpu.
Here is the qvl link for the 2000 series processors.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...mory-QVL-Ryzen-2nd--Generation-processors.pdf
A cursory look does not seem to support ram past 3000 speed.
And, ram in 4 slots seems to be more restrictive.

ryzen is picky about ram.
If you can, update the bios to currency; ram issues are the most common issues fixed.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios.

My suggestion is to abandon your current ram and buy a single kit of the capacity you need.
In addition to the QVL list, you can go to corsair org.skil or other ram site and access their ram configurator for your motherboard and cpu.
If you buy a supported kit, you will get support from them.

Reactions: Grobe
Solution

WaffleToasted

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2016
Still would update the bios.
I tried downloading the biosupdate from the asus website for the Asus PRIME X470-PRO, the latest update.
I extracted the .rar directly on an empty usb stick I had.
Rebooted and tried using the ezy tool or however they call it but it said: Selected file is not a proper BIOS
I then retried using the connect to internet option but that also gave me this message and so I couldn't update it.
What can I do now?

edit:
Ive updated to a newer version but not the latest one cause of the above reason.

Last edited:

WaffleToasted

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2016
Only when using "Asus Bios Flashback"

Think the bios file comes in a .zip file so weird when you say "unpack .rar". Sure you used the right one?
Sorry yes, I meant .zip usually I automatically say .rar
the stick was fat32, the .CAP file was directly in the root, an older version did manage to install from flashdrive
(PRIME-X470-PRO-ASUS-5833.CAP is the latest but that's what I would have on the usb root)

But oddly even the install using web connection gave me the same message, it wasn't due to my usb.
I thought maybe I needed an in between step to get to the latest version since my old version was from like 2018. I have not tried the utmost latest version yet but I think this will do for now, this one is from mid 2020.
I am going to continue this another time, I feel exhausted after this day of troubleshooting and it is late in the evening here.
Thank you guys for all your help btw. I really appreciate it.

WaffleToasted

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2016
Hi I am posting again with an update.
While doing work I noticed my computer was hanging a little and my data hdd's made a sound of powering off before turning on again.
This followed by windows chimming in telling me it disconnected/connected to two of the discs.

I rebooted the system, but the same problem like earlier occurred: Asus splashscreen followed by a critical crash right before or during the windows logo.
I tried setting my ram to 3000hz and it wouldn't change this, I reset it to 3200hz and it is booting, hence how I am typing.

The current ram is my old 16gb ram, which is still functional. I refuse to believe it is just the ram that is causing this now.
I am guessing the motherboard is somehow also a cause of this?

Anyway, I contacted my work and they are bringing me an old work system that is now not being used.
I am hauling over the parts to my current case, connect the data discs, luckily everything important is not on the OS ssd.
And then see how it goes from there.

I do have a question:
Currently I use G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C14D-16GTZR as ram which runs at 3200hz
The other back up computer has:
ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 motherboard
Intel Core i7-5820K Boxed CPU
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2133C13 RAM which runs at 2133hz

I read the mobo's support goes till 3000hz
Would it be possible to put my Trident ram in and underclock it with the XMP to 3000?
Or would it require a lot of extra work to get it stable running?

I also wanted to add:
When I put my usb headset in the front usb port, the leds on my ram just turned off. Very strange indeed.

Last edited:

WaffleToasted

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2016
Current motherboard can run ram over 3200mhz so see not why you should go lower.

I meant of the mobo I am getting tomorrow in the other computer.
ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 motherboard

That said however some strange new developments:
When I put in headset at the front usb the leds on my ram turned off.
I tried rebooting after a while and again splash screen/post and the system would crash, turn off. This time during windows load.

A friend suggested maybe pulling out the cable for the front panel, and now the system boots again.
So I am still confussed wether or not it could be the PSU or perhaps the cable to the front panel or the mobo?
I have no idea at this point.

When I get the other system tomorrow the first thing I will do is replace the PSU and see what happens then.
If it still shows instability then it could be the mobo causing it, but my friend described a faulty mobo as crashing loud and spectacularly.
However all times here the system would just act like the plug had been pulled or other parts didn't get enough power (hdd's turning off/on).
That beside the faulty ram stick that is.

Last edited:

WaffleToasted

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2016
My god, what a day..
So the other computer was delivered, seemingly it has 64gb ram.

I tried moving the psu over to the old case to see if it was the psu, but since the computer was in storage for so long I guess the psu died somewhere along the line, even in the case it originally came from it wasn't functional.
However thankfully my 750w psu from the bonkers pc was/is still working!
So it was the motherboard being faulty after all!

So what I did was simply move my own items to this case, booting from their ssd since the other hdd's are all data discs anyway.
I moved over my gpu which was better and it works fine.

For now this is a proper temp solution, this case doesnt allow my old fans, they are too big for the case. So in the long term over heating might be a thing but for now lets see where this goes.

edit:
Okay the mystery continues, everything was working fine till the new computer suddenly shut down and rebooted. This better motherboard however actually gave of a warning that the psu was giving off power surges and has anti surge protection.

So it might actually be the psu, though I still think the old mobo is pretty much fried.

Last edited:

WaffleToasted

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2016
Okay good news,

I got the new PSU, I put it inside my old rig (the one that kept falling out and had the bust ram) and the system works still!
I am using my old ram, which survived the faulty psu so it wasn't the mobo but simply the psu.
Thankfully everything survived and I can move on now, lets hope it stays that way.

In the second computer, the one with surge protection that detected what was going on.
I had the old psu still connected but switched to off but when I touched a radiator and the case I could feel electricity constantly going through the case. Note to self: try that out first and discharge the case before making adjustments.