[SOLVED] Odd noise very loud with Ryzen 5 3600 cooler

May 20, 2021
Hi,

I recently built my PC around 5 months ago

My processor is a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler

I’ve been monitoring my temps and when im gaming my temps can go as high as 82 degrees. My fan speeds also go up to 2400RPM

I currently just have 1 case fan and the cooler on my CPU however after around 10mins of gaming my pc starts making this noise

https://streamable.com/55a1ac

Not sure what the problem is. I had this same problem when I first built it, but I fiddled with some of the power settings for windows and the problem just went away. After having some heating problems recently in the past week where my CPU would go up to 88 degrees during gaming, i fiddled with the power settings again and now I’m getting this loud fan noise. I also noticed and personally feel like I’ve had a dip in performance ever since I touched my windows power settings, but I’ve tried changing them back to how I had them before and this fan noise still occurs. On the bright side though, I reach as high temps as 70degrees compared to a week before where I would have 88.

Anyone have any idea of what the root cause is? Are ryzen stock coolers typically this loud?

Solution
i had this loud fan noise problem but after changing some power options i read on reddit the problem went away
this would only lower CPU speeds so that as much heat is not generated and the fan can run at lower RPMs.
this doesn't "fix" your issue, just shoves it under the rug.

it may be surfacing again only because the device has continued to decline in quality.
Anything i can currently do to fix this? Should i get a second fan?
if this is considered a "gaming" system and you want to get the best performance your hardware can offer you;
you need to find out exactly what sized CPU cooler your case can accommodate and get a decent one that fits.
any decent case and any decent cooler should offer exact dimensions for height...
Anyone have any idea of what the root cause is? Are ryzen stock coolers typically this loud?
sounds like an unbalanced fan. may just not be noticeable until it gets to higher RPMs.

you really should invest in a decent CPU cooler and a better cooling setup.
if your case doesn't support multiple cool air intakes along with proper exhaust,
you should also be looking into a better case.
just have 1 case fan and the cooler on my CPU
that explains why you are reaching such high temps.
you do not have adequate cool air intake or exhaust.

noticed and personally feel like I’ve had a dip in performance ever since I touched my windows power settings
lower power plan settings will cause your devices to run in "power saving" modes which reduces performance.
depending on the plan used, it will also lower your CPU's and\or it's turbo frequencies.

May 20, 2021
sounds like an unbalanced fan. may just not be noticeable until it gets to higher RPMs.

you really should invest in a decent CPU cooler and a better cooling setup.
if your case doesn't support multiple cool air intakes along with proper exhaust,
you should also be looking into a better case.
that explains why you are reaching such high temps.
you do not have adequate cool air intake or exhaust.

lower power plan settings will cause your devices to run in "power saving" modes which reduces performance.
depending on the plan used, it will also lower your CPU's and\or it's turbo frequencies.
I have a micro ATX build so I'm pretty limited when it comes to current upgrades and im not sure if im able to fit in a good new cooler. Anything i can currently do to fix this? Should i get a second fan? I'm not sure how this problem even started again or how it happened - when i first built it, i had this loud fan noise problem but after changing some power options i read on reddit the problem went away, but now its back and idk what to do and if it'll damage my pc

i had this loud fan noise problem but after changing some power options i read on reddit the problem went away
this would only lower CPU speeds so that as much heat is not generated and the fan can run at lower RPMs.

it may be surfacing again only because the device has continued to decline in quality.
Anything i can currently do to fix this? Should i get a second fan?
if this is considered a "gaming" system and you want to get the best performance your hardware can offer you;
you need to find out exactly what sized CPU cooler your case can accommodate and get a decent one that fits.
any decent case and any decent cooler should offer exact dimensions for height, width, depth.
plus measure the space available on your motherboard to ensure RAM has clearance.

you also should have adequate system-wide cooling with a slight positive air pressure in the case;
more cool air coming in than being exhausted out
while still making sure the heated air is properly exiting the case and not being recycled through the CPU cooler, GPU, VRM, etc.

if you have a single exhaust fan;
than either having 2x similar intakes
or having a single intake but with higher RPM than the exhaust
would allow a better cooling solution.

Solution
May 20, 2021

any decent case and any decent cooler should offer exact dimensions for height, width, depth.
plus measure the space available on your motherboard to ensure RAM has clearance.

you also should have adequate system-wide cooling with a slight positive air pressure in the case;
more cool air coming in than being exhausted out
while still making sure the heated air is properly exiting the case and not being recycled through the CPU cooler, GPU, VRM, etc.

if you have a single exhaust fan;
than either having 2x similar intakes
or having a single intake but with higher RPM than the exhaust
would allow a better cooling solution.
alright thanks! will try and get a new cooler asap

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i quickly replaced the stock fans for the 3600 and 3600x i have. for me the sound was a very low humm that i more felt through the desk that heard. but it was annoying enough that i barely made it 2 weeks before replacing it.

good news is you dont need a ton of cooling for that chip. i went with a nice cheap 150w cooler from be quiet.

https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-pure-rock-2-black/p/13C-001F-00039?Item=9SIA68VB5Y8554

cool and quiet and i have no temp issues even with PBO turned on. but i do have plenty of case fans so your experience may vary