[SOLVED] Odd PC Problem that is driving me nuts!

Apr 22, 2021
OK so I have a really odd issue well at lease to me anyways. My fathers computer which is listed below was just built like 2 months ago. He called and told me that when he first starts it up and gets into Windows it sometimes will reboot and you can't do anything to the machine unless you unplug the PSU.

So I have a look at it and, it is very random problem. Like it ran all last weekend perfectly fine! He gamed all weekend in fact. Today I went over and looked at it because the machine was doing it again. So I figured maybe Windows needed to be reinstall since it was from his old pc. I reinstalled Windows and it seemed fine for a few days. So now its doing it again. I can also say that when it does boot if you shut the system off and repower it on and get into windows it will reboot / hard lock and you have to unplug the PSU, the Motherboard gave me a CPU error light so I remounted the CPU and Cooler hoping it was that. Now it gives me a DRAM error light but like I said I tried a new Memory kit and I also tried a Memory kit I know that works and is good. So really confused on that one.

So now I am thinking Hardware problem. I ran Memtest on the memory and it came back fine, but just to make sure I put in a new memory kit and tested it again. Same thing. Now here is another thing that blows my mind if you're gaming on it this problem never happens. IT only happens when the system is setting idle or shut down and restarted it will boot into Windows at random restarts could be 2 could be 5. Also Windows gives no info in the event log either it just says the system was shutdown or lost power.
So I am hoping maybe someone here could point me in the right direction or maybe have ran into this problem on their own. I even updated the Bios and loaded the defaults settings. I ran the memory at default and with XMP Profile on.

System Specs:
AMD Ryzen 3600x
Gigabyte Aorus Elitle V2 b450 with Latest Bios
Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz DDR4 @ 3200
SP 256g NVME Boot Drive
WD 2tb Drive and a WD 3tb Drive
Evga 1070 SC 8g ( Stupid Card Shortage :/ )

Solution
I tried two different ram kits a Crucial one and a Corsair one same speeds for both. Still does it. So I am guessing the ram is OK, the motherboard works perfectly fine when it is running. I will try a different GPU tomorrow and try another power supply as well. If it still does it with a different gpu and psu then it might be the board or cpu. I could always test a 2600x in that board and see if it does it with that cpu on that board.

It just blows my mind that he can game for hours on hours with good temps around 58 to 60c when gaming and nothing happens works great. He leaves it alone idle for a few minutes and it hard locks / reboots.

Thanks for the ideas! I will keep every updated on what happens!

Yeah a PSU can work...
The EVGA 1000GQ is a decent PSU with a 5 years warranty. It still could be the issue here. Just because it was ok in his old system it doesn't mean it will be in the new one. PSU degrades and they get faulty too even if it's a decent PSU.

A system rebooting like that can be a few things. Like overheating, PSU issues, GPU issues, RAM instabilities and the board or CPU but that's less likely.

What's the temperature of the CPU and GPU?

Reactions: TXRaptor
Apr 22, 2021
I tried two different ram kits a Crucial one and a Corsair one same speeds for both. Still does it. So I am guessing the ram is OK, the motherboard works perfectly fine when it is running. I will try a different GPU tomorrow and try another power supply as well. If it still does it with a different gpu and psu then it might be the board or cpu. I could always test a 2600x in that board and see if it does it with that cpu on that board.

It just blows my mind that he can game for hours on hours with good temps around 58 to 60c when gaming and nothing happens works great. He leaves it alone idle for a few minutes and it hard locks / reboots.

Yeah a PSU can work just fine in load and not fine at idling.

I hope it's the PSU. Most of the time it's the PSU. If it's not let me know and I will be happy to keep troubleshooting it with you! :)

Solution
Apr 22, 2021
The EVGA 1000GQ is a decent PSU with a 5 years warranty. It still could be the issue here. Just because it was ok in his old system it doesn't mean it will be in the new one. PSU degrades and they get faulty too even if it's a decent PSU.

A system rebooting like that can be a few things. Like overheating, PSU issues, GPU issues, RAM instabilities and the board or CPU but that's less likely.

What's the temperature of the CPU and GPU?

The GPU is around 68c to 73c and the cpu is around 58 to 60c when gaming. If I run CB 20 it hits a max high temp of 70c.

Apr 22, 2021
Well some updates! I tried a new PSU and same thing. So the onboard lights are telling me when it hard locks that I am getting a CPU error but some times it gives me a DRAM error light too. I just happen to notice that the CPU Vcore voltage was at like 1.055 when setting idle and that the memory voltage was only at 1.2v This threw a flag up for me and so I checked the Bios. I see that the board is set to AUTO for both! So I set the voltage manually for both and it has been rock solid for hours now.

I pray this was the problem! I will update again later if it changes Lol.

Apr 22, 2021
Final update! Yep so it turns out that the voltage being set to AUTO in the Bios was the cause of all the problems. I think what happened was when I updated the Bios on the motherboard to the latest version, I left all the voltage settings set to AUTO thinking it would be fine I have done that in the past before and it never really gave me issues. I know that is probably a bad thing to do and you should always set the voltages so that the board doesn't over volt the CPU. I will try harder from now on hehe.

Thanks Nemesia for all the help!

Final update! Yep so it turns out that the voltage being set to AUTO in the Bios was the cause of all the problems. I think what happened was when I updated the Bios on the motherboard to the latest version, I left all the voltage settings set to AUTO thinking it would be fine I have done that in the past before and it never really gave me issues. I know that is probably a bad thing to do and you should always set the voltages so that the board doesn't over volt the CPU. I will try harder from now on hehe.

Thanks Nemesia for all the help!

I'm glad it was just a BIOS thing. :)