Odd ping fluctuation in online games

tomtom123456

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
Starting yesterday, I've encountered an odd problem while playing online games. My ping to their server is usually between 25ms and 27 ms, but it is now at a minimum of 30ms with a max of 60. This would be playable if it were constant, but it fluctuates very quickly and makes it difficult to enjoy myself playing online games. I've tried everything that came to me to fix it, including everything in here other than port forwarding. I ran multiple Netalyzr tests and they all came back clean. I know of two specific servers which I can connect to when I play this game and I ran ping tests to them, the logs of which I will include here.

test one : http://pastebin.com/1PzJnR4E
test two: http://pastebin.com/r4vqfdpn

I have also contacted my isp, but there's not much they can do since it's not on their end.

tomtom123456

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

Should I ask them if there's any congestion in the area?

dgingeri

Distinguished
I know for sure Comcast or Time Warner won't do squat about it, so it depends on your ISP, but unlikely. With some, like Comcast, higher level plan users have higher priority given to their packets in the QOS calculations. You could try moving to a higher bandwidth plan and see if that helps.

tomtom123456

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

I have one of the highest bandwidth plans at the moment and my ISP is Rogers Communications. I guess I'll try and see if they can do anything.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Rogers Communications has a customer service rating barely above Comcast. It is unlikely they'll do anything. This is likely just something you'll have to live with, like the neighbor upstairs that likes to play basketball in his living room at midnight. (I've had many neighbors like that, and many ISP connections like that. It's just life.)

tomtom123456

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

I spoke to my ISP and they told me that there is is no problem with traffic/congestion in my area. I'd also like to note that I don't live in an apartment and I'm the only one using the internet.