Question Odd problem - driver issue?

Jul 14, 2020
Hi, all,

Managed to get hold of an XFX RX 5700 XT Ultra THICC III. Having removed the previous drivers with DDU, I installed the new card. After installing the latest driver from AMD's site, Windows become very sluggish, but still responsive (i.e., dragging a window or opening the Start menu isn't as smooth as it should be.) I ran FurMark in a 960x600 window, and whilst it was running smoothly, Windows, too, began to run smoothly... until I stopped FurMark. YouTube videos also run perfectly OK in both Windowed mode and fullscreen mode. I ran GTA V via Steam and it also seems to be working perfectly OK.

Thinking it may be an issue of the card's minimum clock being a bit too slow to keep Windows running smooth, I upped the minimum clock a bit with the Radeon Software, but that didn't help, neither did setting Windows' power mode to "Ultimate". I updated my motherboard's BIOS to the latest version - no luck.

I think this is certainly a driver issue or an issue with Windows - possibly a throttling issue - but I'm not sure where to look next.

Any ideas on what I could try next?

Many thanks in advance :)

Specs are:

Board - MSI Gaming M6 AC
CPU - i7 6700 (non-K)
RAM - Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 2333
Storage - 2 x 500GB SanDisk 3D Ultra SSD
GPU - XFX RX 5700 XT Ultra THICC III
Cooler - H100i V2
PSU - EVGA 650w P2
Windows - 2004, 19041.450

ASK THE COMMUNITY