Odd problem since new GPU

neobuzzsaw

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Hi,

Well I finally decided to buy a HD 5770 which I have installed into my system and then reinstalled the OS

My problem is that after I installed it and turned on computer the dvd drive and all the fans make a 'revving' noise (like trying to start an old car on a cold day) it does this 5-6 times before the computer will boot (post) and then i get a display.

Everything seems to work fine when booted , OS loads and I am able to play GTAIV on max settings with no issues - any ideas?

Also I cannot put the computer into standby as it has the same problem when I try to bring it out of standby.

I have tried to clear the CMOS aswell with no luck.

If you take it out and reinstall the old card does it do that because i think its normal.

For the fan case the computer is testing them.. kinda strange if it didn't do that before.

What psu you got in comp ?

neobuzzsaw

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Ok I have just tried the old card and now it does the same thing!

When I eventualy get it to POST everything works fine (I am on it now).

I have a 600W PSU (no brand on it) would that be the cause?

what kind of computer is it ?

it might be in your bios you have an option to test the fans in your computer.

If it starts and everything works fine : don't fix something that don't need to be fix.... we could cause more trouble if we try.

You psu should be fine

neobuzzsaw

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
OK Thanks for your replies!

I have now managed to sort this out, it turned out to be a corrupted bios. I flashed it with a new one and all is good again :)

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Switching graphics cards and reinstalling an OS shouldn't have done squat to your bios. You may have an underlying problem with your system. Just something to be aware of.