csquared587

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
I recently built this PC.

Q6600 @ 2.4 gHz
8800 GTS 640 mb
2 gigs ram
vista 32.

When I plug my headphones into the port, my PC recognizes them, and I even get sound when doing the test in control panel(the little beeps).

When I play music from Itunes or any other audio, I get no sound. I can only get sound if I hook up my headphones to my logitech speakers. Any of you know whats going on here?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You are all over the place here. First, what is you mobo?

Are you saying that you get sound from the front case 1/8" stereo plug but not from the rear I/O panel on the mobo?

csquared587

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
Sorry.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte Ds3r.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050

I dont get sound from the 1/8" stereo plug on the front case or the one from my motherboard.

When I plug my headphones into the 1/8" stereo plug in the front of my case, my PC recognized my headphones are plugged in, but I dont get any sound through them.

At this time, the only way for me to use headphones is to use the headphone port on my 5.1 logitech speakers.

I hope that was a little more clear.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Where are the Logitech speakers plugged in. Do they work in the front and back jacks? What model are they, if you know?

What is the brand and model of the headphones?

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
you need to tell the program to use the new hardware. I don't remember the details but i've done this when doing video editing in an office setting. Check the output options in the program. Under advance options, tell it to output to the new device and not the default

sorry, i don't use itunes but i've dealt with this in many different SW titles, as a other option. You can go through control panel and set the default audio output that way

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The programs can't tell whether something is plugged into the 1/8" jack or not. If anything it is BIOS settings.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Ok here is the deal. Download the PDF manual from the website, for pagination purposes. Go to page 28 and read the section titled 13) F_AUDIO (Front Panel Audio Header) You need to be sure it is connected properly. Additionally here is a quote.
• The front panel audio header supports HD audio by default. If your chassis provides an AC'97 front panel audio module, refer to the instructions on how to activate AC'97 functionality
via the audio software in Chapter 5, "Configuring 2/4/5.1/7.1-Channel Audio."
• When using an AC'97 front panel audio module, you can use either the front or the back
panel audio connectors, but not both at the same time.
So if you have a case that has only AC97 you need to program it to work. Additionally if you do then I think you will loose your HD in the back and you will only be able to use one or the other anyway. See screen shot
7ygxlia.jpg