Question Odd problems ?

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
My Windows 10 PC is already problematic. When it had one problem and I took to a supposed repair place, they screwed it up, and it ended up in a state that when you boot, you have to pick which Windows installation to use, the old installation is unbootable. Once booted, something weird happened with the Edge browser where if it runs at all, the computer is screwed. So I just can't run Edge, but sometimes it's run accidentally. Close it and hope it's ok, or reboot.

Earlier today it got run accidentally, closed it, seemed ok. Tonight I noticed things were weird. Alt-tab stopped working. ctrl-alt-delete worked but clicking task manager did nothing. Oh look, it things the old Edge process is running, and Edge says 'syncing all devices'. Close Edge again.

In this state I figured time to save documents, and reboot. So I save a couple and then it's really not working. Each document I'd clicked save nd close, still shows as a blank window I can't close. Other documents have 'preview screens' but I can't select or even close them. In other words, the mouse moves but nothing can be clicked.

Windows+r? Nothing. So no alt tab, no clicking any window, no pretty much anything. After maybe 5-10 minutes there's some disk activity. It's over. Another minutes and whaddya know, it just starts working again. I can bring up notepad processes, task manager pops up, I can close and open it. Back to normal.

Who knows. Two theories: Hardware problem that comes and goes (unlikely); or something from that Edge problem that decided to do something that really screwed up the Windows environment, temporarily. Haven't really heard of this. It's an older home build, I think around 2018, with i7-4790k and rx 570.

Last edited:
ok so i will begin by asking a very awkward question , you mention BLACK screen and things refusing to work correctly so my awkward question is .... do you have a legally purchased version of windows. A pal of mine had the same problems as you and it turned out he had bought the laptop at a university open day lots of his pals bought them and they all got the black screen and when they tried to do updates they were told they did not have a genuine copy of windows , by this time the seller was long gone.

you said ... i dont even know what this is ..... does that mean you dont know how to do a re-install of windows .... the easiest way is to type .... reset this pc ... into the search box and follow the instructions.

If you think you have a hardware problem type ... device manager into the search box and look for any yellow warning triangles.
type ... reliability monitor into search box and look at error log

USAFRet

Titan
My Windows 10 PC is already problematic. When it had one problem and I took to a supposed repair place, they screwed it up, and it ended up in a state that then you boot, you have to pick which Windows installation to use, the old is is unbootable.
Full wipe and reinstall.
No telling what else they screwed up in there.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
ok so i will begin by asking a very awkward question , you mention BLACK screen and things refusing to work correctly so my awkward question is .... do you have a legally purchased version of windows. A pal of mine had the same problems as you and it turned out he had bought the laptop at a university open day lots of his pals bought them and they all got the black screen and when they tried to do updates they were told they did not have a genuine copy of windows , by this time the seller was long gone.

you said ... i dont even know what this is ..... does that mean you dont know how to do a re-install of windows .... the easiest way is to type .... reset this pc ... into the search box and follow the instructions.

If you think you have a hardware problem type ... device manager into the search box and look for any yellow warning triangles.
type ... reliability monitor into search box and look at error log

First, I didn't mean the whole screen black, I meant that the notepad preview windows at the taskbar that I'd closed, still showed up but black/empty, and couldn't be closed. Second, no problem, yes it's legal Windows.

I didn't say I don't know what that is, another poster said that about my typo of the word repair. No yellow triangles in device manager.